Birch Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was the birch I cut Saturday, give it a shot.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4347.jpg
    100_4347.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 367
  • 100_4348.jpg
    100_4348.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_4349.jpg
    100_4349.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_4350.jpg
    100_4350.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 100_4351.jpg
    100_4351.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_4353.jpg
    100_4353.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 376
Hard to tell . . . was there a flash used?

Right now I'm leaning towards gray . . . possibly yellow.

firefighterjake said:
Hard to tell . . . was there a flash used?

Right now I'm leaning towards gray . . . possibly yellow.

Last four pictures the flash was use, heavy wintergreen or peppermint smell so after doing some reading I'll agree with P.A., yellow.

zap

zapny said:
PA. Woodsman said:
Looks like Yellow to me Zap...or is it Water? I'll say Yellow...

Smells like peppermint or wintergreen. I'm not sure what it smells like when you burn it but boy it smells great after you split it.

http://www.keep-it-simple-firewood.com/birch-firewood.html

zap

That smell is indicative of Black (Sweet) Birch, but the bark doesn't match that except for the third picture which is smooth-grey. The last picture looks like Yellow to me-are these from the same tree?. Now you've got me thinking??!!!

Yellow birch - 100%. Wintergreen smell is true for both black and yellow birch. Great firewood! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Yellow birch - 100%. Wintergreen smell is true for both black and yellow birch. Great firewood! Cheers!

I have 2 admit NH_Wood, you had it right the other day.

zap

Yellow for sure.

PA. Woodsman said:
zapny said:
PA. Woodsman said:
Looks like Yellow to me Zap...or is it Water? I'll say Yellow...

Smells like peppermint or wintergreen. I'm not sure what it smells like when you burn it but boy it smells great after you split it.

http://www.keep-it-simple-firewood.com/birch-firewood.html

zap

That smell is indicative of Black (Sweet) Birch, but the bark doesn't match that except for the third picture which is smooth-grey. The last picture looks like Yellow to me-are these from the same tree?. Now you've got me thinking??!!!

All split from the same round tonight, it came from this tree on Saturday.

Attachments

• 100_4312.jpg
    100_4312.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 361
Yellow Birch for sure - great burning wood! I've got a huge one on my property but I'll only be burning it if mother nature takes it down because it's such a nice tree.

+1 for Yellow Birch. That last split is the one that is really characteristic of Yellow Birch - the one with the small, peely pieces of bark. The other pieces with smooth bark are typical for younger trees, but the smooth bark can make ID a little tricky. The lichens and moss are also typical of Yellow birch, but you can't really rely on that for ID.

albertj03 said:
Yellow Birch for sure - great burning wood! I've got a huge one on my property but I'll only be burning it if mother nature takes it down because it's such a nice tree.

This area has some that need clearing (topped off or bent over) I just need to find out what type of Birch they are.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4021.jpg
    100_4021.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 312
Sure is Yellow birch as Black birch looks quite different standing. I know the Black birch is nice and hard as a rock so I would assume the yellow is right there too.

zapny said:
albertj03 said:

This area has some that need clearing (topped off or bent over) I just need to find out what type of Birch they are.

zap

Zap - the smaller dbh, golden yellow trees in the center of the pic are yellow birch as well. I have about 1/2 cord of yellow birch that is slated for 2014/2015 - not sure if I can wait that long - I REALLY want to burn some! Very little in my stacks for this year, and none for next year or the year after. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
zapny said:
albertj03 said:

zap

Zap - the smaller dbh, golden yellow trees in the center of the pic are yellow birch as well. I have about 1/2 cord of yellow birch that is slated for 2014/2015 - not sure if I can wait that long - I REALLY want to burn some! Very little in my stacks for this year, and none for next year or the year after. Cheers!

NH_Wood, does the yellow birch give off the wintergreen/peppermint smell when burning it?

zap

Yellow birches can get quite large in the north country and quite fuzzy with bark curls. Old time loggers reportedly would haze the new loggers by betting them that they couldnt climb a yellow birch. The new logger would proceed to climb the tree and the old timers would then light a match and fire off the curls which would burn up the tree rapidly. Usually the new logger would have to jump to avoid getting burnt.

Older yellow birch also has the reputation of being hard to split, I know folks who would rather split elm than yellow birch. I personally dont have any issues with smaller ones.

peakbagger said:
Yellow birches can get quite large in the north country and quite fuzzy with bark curls. Old time loggers reportedly would haze the new loggers by betting them that they couldnt climb a yellow birch. The new logger would proceed to climb the tree and the old timers would then light a match and fire off the curls which would burn up the tree rapidly. Usually the new logger would have to jump to avoid getting burnt.

Older yellow birch also has the reputation of being hard to split, I know folks who would rather split elm than yellow birch. I personally dont have any issues with smaller ones.

Sav mentioned about lighting the birch bark on fire when he was up but never said why, that OLE DOG! :zip:

Zap

Yellow birch. Dry it good and save it for mid-February next season, it's just below black birch in burn qualities IMO.

The climbing the birch story is in one of Robert Pikes books, Tall trees tough men, worth a read if you want a good history of logging.

Looks similar to what we have here.
We call it "birch"
good BTU : http://forestry.alaska.gov/pdfs/08BTUFirewoodHandout.pdf
Our best fire wood.
When you go to load it in a hot stove with coals , get it all laying by the stove, load fast. You'll have a hot fire burning in no time. :)
Pic of the stuff in my wood box:

Attachments

• 100_6840.jpg
    100_6840.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 179
zapny said:
NH_Wood said:
zapny said:
albertj03 said:

zap

NH_Wood, does the yellow birch give off the wintergreen/peppermint smell when burning it?

zap

Zap - I don't think you can smell the wintergreen when the wood is burning - and even in the round the smell is much less than a fresh snapped twig. Lots of yellow birch around me, but rarely get any to burn. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.