Bird Family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
A pair of birds has been nesting on out front porch for a few years now. The Momma and Papa have gotten pretty used to us being around. We bought a new camera with a better zoom last year so I was able to stand far enough away to not disturb them and still get some great shots.
DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1151.jpg

What's that over Momma's shoulder?
DSCN1155.jpg

Look! It's Papa!
DSCN1158.jpg

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1156.jpg

My wife and I must have taken 100 or more pictures yesterday. It is so awesome to see the family. They aare growing like crazy with constant feeding. The little nest is getting pretty crowded! I suspect the babies will be out soon.
This is the second try for the pair. About a month ago the had a bunch of little guys. In the middle of the night we heard a loud crash. I found the piece of driftwood and the nest on the floor in the morning and no sign of babies. I had to go to work so I couldn't spend too much time looking around. My wife came out later and found only one baby. It was too small to fly. The parents were going crazy, trying to build a new nest. The one baby disappeared later in the day. Over the next few days I found the remains of two other babies. We think a cat jumped on the nest and knocked it down. After rebuilding the nest, Momma was in in it constantly. We were wondering of she would lay more eggs. They hatched about two weeks ago and only got big enough for us to see in the last couple days. It makes us very happy to see that the pair was able to have a second chance. We rearranged the stuff on the porch so that they would be better protected from predation. We feel like they are our babies too!

Real nice shots. No bird book handy, but the red on the male looks like a purple martin.

We think they are Finches, but neither of us are bird experts. They are pretty small. Probably the smallest birds around us.

Yup, I stand corrected. I just googled purple finch and it looks just like the male!

Thanks. I never even bothered to check what they are.

Those are house finches. Different than a purple finch, which is the native North American finch. Purple finches are much more reclusive, however, and tend to stay away from houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.