Birthday present

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Look what my wife got me for my birthday!
DSC06687.jpg

DSC06689.jpg

It came with a 16" bar and two chains. I went out and bought a 20" for it.
DSC06690.jpg

Wow! this thing is an animal. Now I understand why you guys spend the big bucks on pro saws for firewood.

Congrats and Happy Birthday!!!

Pyro Nut said:
Congrats and Happy Birthday!!!

Congrats.. Happy Birthday.... What a present... What a Wife. I am hoping mine gets me the 660.... Not going to hold my breath though. LOL

Just picked up my 036 off of my Buddy.. Said he had a 20" bar and chains. But he cant find it now. Hmmm, Odd?? . For about $200. Not gonna complain. I am going to buy a 20" for mine this week. The 25" is way too much bar. (Without a skipper chain).

Yep, I gotta say my 455 Rancher cant hold a candle to it. LOVE IT..

How Old are you? You dont have to answer. Some guys on here surprise me. Some are older than I thought. Some are younger. I believe I am in the younger catagory. The under 35 crowd. Gotta start somewhere.

Congrats again..

Attachments

• Stihl 3.jpg
    Stihl 3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 416
  • Stihl 4.jpg
    Stihl 4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 420
  • Stihl 7 ¤.jpg
    Stihl 7 ¤.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 437
I guess your wife likes a warm house and lower energy bills as much as mine does! That looks like a new saw but I think they are on the 361 iteration? At any rate, I hope you really enjoy the saw. I know I really enjoy running professional tools so much more. Stihl makes a really great product!

MarkinNC said:
I guess your wife likes a warm house and lower energy bills as much as mine does! That looks like a new saw but I think they are on the 361 iteration? At any rate, I hope you really enjoy the saw. I know I really enjoy running professional tools so much more. Stihl makes a really great product!

Its the MS 362 now. Its a little smaller in cc's. But still the same power and more EPS compliant.

Happy Birthday, & congrats! You'll love that saw. A C

One of the best Christmas gifts I ever received was my Husquvarna 350 chainsaw from my wife . . . that's how you know they're "keepers." ;) :)

Your wife must love you! Very nice.

That will speed things up a bit! ;-)

Where did she find that Flatbed? I bet you picked out, tell the truth.

Yes, she does love me and I love her too!
Now, the back story. A friend of mine bought this saw up in New Hampshire off Craig's List for $90! He brought it to my house, I tried it out, and, as a joke, offered him $100. He said that after he used it a while, he would probably let me have for that price. He is always buying and selling saws. A week or so later, Mrs. Flatbedford was asking me wanted I wanted for my up coming 41st birthday. I suggested she get in touch with my friend and see if he would sell the 036. She worked out the deal, then my mother-in-law picked it up at his house and transferred it to my sister-in-law who transferred it to my stepson, who then gave it to my wife so she could give it to me. It was quite an operation.
What a difference, from the "over weight, under powered" 029! The additional speed and power is amazing. It reminds me of when we made the upgrade from a POS Sears special Homelite to the 029 back in 1996. This saw is surely overkill for what I do, and I would never have made the upgrade if not for the killer deal. I have always defended the 029/MS290, and would still, if buying new, for the cost conscious firewood cutter. But if you want to spend twice the money, or you find a great deal on a used one, the pro saws are awesome.

My Stihl dealer, and his price, talked me out of more than a 20" bar for this saw. What do you all think? It would be nice to have 25" around for the occasional big stuff, maybe a skip chain?

Flatbedford said:
Now, the back story. A friend of mine bought this saw up in New Hampshire off Craig's List for $90! He brought it to my house, I tried it out, and, as a joke, offered him $100. He said that after he used it a while, he would probably let me have for that price. He is always buying and selling saws. A week or so later, Mrs. Flatbedford was asking me wanted I wanted for my up coming 41st birthday. I suggested she get in touch with my friend and see if he would sell the 036. She worked out the deal, then my mother-in-law picked it up at his house and transferred it to my sister-in-law who transferred it to my stepson, who then gave it to my wife so she could give it to me. It was quite an operation.
What a difference, from the "over weight, under powered" 029! The additional speed and power is amazing. It reminds me of when we made the upgrade from a POS Sears special Homelite to the 029 back in 1996. This saw is surely overkill for what I do, and I would never have made the upgrade if not for the killer deal. I have always defended the 029/MS290, and would still, if buying new, for the cost conscious firewood cutter. But if you want to spend twice the money, or you find a great deal on a used one, the pro saws are awesome.

My Stihl dealer, and his price, talked me out of more than a 20" bar for this saw. What do you all think? It would be nice to have 25" around for the occasional big stuff, maybe a skip chain?

Bigger logs it will feel like the 029 again....But your range with that saw is alot better! Congrats one of the best firewood saw there is!

Flatbedford said:

I've rarely come across a tree I couldn't bust with a 20" bar...might have to make 2 cuts however. Go 20" full comp, full chisel and let that thing eat. If you do a lot of big ol' yard trees a 25" with full skip chain would be a good thing to have.

Enjoy the new saw. I love my 361.

Talk her into a 660 for Christmas!!!

I bought a 20" full chisel. It was tearing through 24"-30" Red Oak the other day. A little more bar would be handy, but is not necessary.

Flatbedford said:
I bought a 20" full chisel. It was tearing through 24"-30" Red Oak the other day. A little more bar would be handy, but is not necessary.

When I "test drove" my 361 before I bought it, it had a 25" bar on it. Might have just been me, but it felt a little nose heavy. I think the balance is much better with the 20". Would be fine for specific tree, but wouldn't want it all the time.

lukem said:
Flatbedford said:

When I "test drove" my 361 before I bought it, it had a 25" bar on it. Might have just been me, but it felt a little nose heavy. I think the balance is much better with the 20". Would be fine for specific tree, but wouldn't want it all the time.

yea its going to be alot nose heavy with a 25. I have ran with a 28 inch.......This is MMAUL with a 28 and 361! ;-) Not the best set up but it done the job!

Attachments

• milling resize 1021.jpg
    milling resize 1021.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 309
Happy Birthday Flatbed!!! You must have been a good boy this year!!!
She sure is pretty posing in those photos.....
I hope you are gonna give her a good name......Maybes Mona? ;-)
Do you guys really name your "power equipment"? :)

GAMMA RAY said:

Yep, little bit, Miss Thang! and HOG because its to Big to be a girl! ;-)

Happy birthday Steve. Nice present too.

Gamma, I have called several of our tools some names but won't post them here.

smokinjay said:
GAMMA RAY said:

Happy Birthday Flatbed Ford! Congrats on the new saw!

My 288XP now answers to "krigare kung",Swedish for Warrior King :lol:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
GAMMA RAY said:

lol :lol:

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
GAMMA RAY said:

It was either that or Elin. ;-P What a damn fool he was,but thats another story for a different day lol.

Funny, sometimes I hear Mr. Gamma refer to some of his power equipment as some type of "Mother" or somethin like that...
ain't that odd.... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
Funny, sometimes I hear Mr. Gamma refer to some of his power equipment as some type of "Mother" or somethin like that...
ain't that odd.... :lol:

I seen where wee Angus Young would refer to his Gibson SG in different terms - "If it was happening, I'd call it Heavenly Beast. If it wasn't happening, I usually call it Arsehole"

:lol:

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
GAMMA RAY said:

I guess I need creative German names for my saws, blower, and trimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.