BK Chinook or Princess on 5 1/2" liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelraq

Nov 11, 2009
Coldstream, British Columbia
I am considering installing a Princess or Chinook in the basement of my house. It would be connected to an existing 8 x 12 masonary chimney. The chimney is in the house all the way to the roof - so it stays alot warmer than if it was on the outside.

The inside dimension of the chimney is approx. 6 x 10. As I see it, I have 2 options here: either remove the clay liner to enable a 6" liner to be installed ... or install a 5 1/2 inch liner. I am pretty certain that a 6" liner wouldn't fit.

Are any of you BK owners running on a 5 1/2 "?? How does it work?

One of the guys at the BK stove shop thought it would work fine on the 8 x 12; and that I should try that before spending the $ to renovate the chimney. Knowing how much the 'new generation' stoves like a good strong draft, I doubt that this would work.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

BTW, the height of the chimney from stove top to chimney top would be 20 - 21 feet.

I think you would be better off with a 5.5" liner than the current 6x10. Cat stoves have such low flue temps it's best to get as close to that 6" as possible for the best results. You may also want to consider a poured Supaflue or busting out the tiles and installing an insulated 6" liner.

I'm using a 5 1/2 with mine but I'm about 30' from the stove top to the top of the chimney. My rise before my 90 is only 30" and not 36" like BK recommends, when it's warmer I have the potential for a little smoke spillage if I'm not careful. That's not as much of a problem now that I'm more aware of it. My Endeavor I could toss the door open and never have a problem, this ones a little more sensitive.

Thanks for you replies.

Todd - what is a "poured" supaflue?" Haven't heard of this before!

I've got 16' of 6" Class A chimney straight up, and when the chimney is warm on a cold day I have a feeling the draft is so strong it would suck my arm right up the chimney on a reload.

That being said, when it's 45+ degrees out, the draft is slightly weak when burning the stove on 1. It still pulls, but it has lost the draft overnight on me twice so far this burning season. The solution for me here, is to just run it at 1.25 or so when I know it's going to be a warm night. I have some leftover Class A I was thinking about extending my chimney a bit.

But since yours is a bit taller... Perhaps a 5.5 would work.
Are you running straight up? Or are you going to require two elbows to connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.