BK princess ultra owners a little help....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopslide

Oct 17, 2009
Idaho
Happy burning season to all.... My thermostat knob cracked and fell off this last season and I have repaired it but cant quite remember how far it would turn on either end I was hoping some of you could tell me where your thermo stops if you turn it all the way up (or all the way open air Clockwise) I just want to set it back to the factory??? setting so i can stay consistent with the way it was and judge how the stove is working compared to you all...
Thanks for the feedback
BK

Mine is the Princess Insert and a little different but do not believe that much. On mine all the way up (pointing up) it is Hi, and all the way down is Low (I think it is in reverse on yours), it has a half a circle max to min movement.

Google "Blaze King video" on youtube, at about half way into the video they show your thermostat knob positions I believe!

Hope that helps for now.

Wide open is all the way straight up/down well past the 3. All the closed is just about 360* from that.

NATE379 said:
Wide open is all the way straight up/down well past the 3. All the closed is just about 360* from that.

x2 wide open on mine is 6 o'clock

Thanks all. that will help a bunch my knob has been all over the map which has helped me figure out the stove a little more because I pay more attention to the way the fire is burning as opposed to setting(couple years now burning with the princess I am apparently very slow but persistent)
Having the thermo dial be consistent does make it a lot easier to just dial in how long I want it to burn and leave for the day. with that said how low are some of you able to turn it down before gunking up the glass. (I feel like if my glass gets black at all I am probably making creosote)
thanks again
BK

Chopslide said:
Thanks all. that will help a bunch my knob has been all over the map which has helped me figure out the stove a little more because I pay more attention to the way the fire is burning as opposed to setting(couple years now burning with the princess I am apparently very slow but persistent)
Having the thermo dial be consistent does make it a lot easier to just dial in how long I want it to burn and leave for the day. with that said how low are some of you able to turn it down before gunking up the glass. (I feel like if my glass gets black at all I am probably making creosote)
thanks again
BK

I only had the stove for 2 weeks but have been burning wood for 10 years with a catless EPA stove. From what I can see so far this stove is different from other stoves in a sense that it is designed to be working on a verge of "chocking" the fire, this is turns creates more creosote inside the fire box which dirties the glass. Under normal operation with the described condition once the gasses go through the cat they get burnt so there is not much smoke left to come out of the chimney. I find it very difficult to even try to burn the creosote off the glass, with the thermostat engaged the stove does not want to over fire, I think the thermostat prevents it from doing that in order to conserve the wood for the longer burns. This is a good thing, the only down fault I can see is the fogging of the glass.

Maybe someone else with more experience with this stove can explain better...

Its really simple, the glass will darken down with a low burn. No big deal, when you reload your gonna burn most of it. It takes about a hour to clean up the glass as your working the T-stat down to a lower temp. But the corners on my inserts glass always remain dark. I feel the key is to let it burn hot and this will get all the stuff out of the wood that darkens the glass and clean it up at the same time. The glass will stay cleaner when it starts to get colder.

The other factor is quality seasoned wood. I am burning some 2 yr old ash that is not darkening down the glass to bad. The longer burn times are worth it evan if the glass darkens.

I clean my own flue and have had more buildup of creosote than I expect from reading all of the other posts for the last couple years so this year I am trying to burn a little hotter to see if i can keep it clean. I am still running 5' of single wall to the first floor ceiling where it goes to triple on through to the cap. it is a straight shot and looking at many of the install picts with 45s, Ts and such it would seem that this setup should work pretty well but it is hard to keep the top 5' and the cap from gunking up. mabe double wall would make the difference but I probably wont go there this season. I have been reading a couple of the other bk posts that are around right now and getting some great info..... it is interesting how everyone does it a little different.
I think the key for me is going to be burn harder at the start and then turn down to the length of burn/heat output I want and trying to keep the glass as clean as possible and it seems to be going pretty well so far this season
Bk

Bk insert I would be careful....I know you have been burning for a while but you can plug a flue with these stoves if you are burning really low.... you may produce more creosote than you think
I am proof of that :coolsmile:

Chopslide said:
Bk insert I would be careful....I know you have been burning for a while but you can plug a flue with these stoves if you are burning really low.... you may produce more creosote than you think
I am proof of that :coolsmile:

Good point and thank for the important tip! I make sure the flap is just open when I run it, I can actually hear the door opening and closing as I play with the thermostat knob. My low setting is ~1/8 from the lowest setting, I hope this is good enough...

your closed position on the thermostat should change with stove temp as it is a coil that opens and closes with temp if my stove is really hot I can hear/feel the flap close more in the 2 21/2 range if it is cool more down below 1 Im sure you will have good luck with the bk just keep tabs on it this first bit as you figure it out
I believe most of my problems came from marginal wood and too much faith in the cat eating all the crap.....

Status
Not open for further replies.