Black Cherry for Lumber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
A large cherry tree (black cherry?) came down in a recent storm in my Mother's back yard. There is only one, and its easily accessible on a 1 acre lot in a small village. While I am salivating over the thought of cutting it up for firewood, I was asked to look into the possibility that someone might want the trunk for lumber, furniture, etc. and actually pay for it. I'd still get to keep the scraps, so either way it looks good.

What do you think? Pics attached. Sorry, I forgot to get a girth measurement, but its looks about as big as they come around here.

Attachments

• Tree_1.jpg
    Tree_1.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Tree_2.jpg
    Tree_2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Tree_3.jpg
    Tree_3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 328
I would mill it, but if you don't have the equipment to pull it off for lumbar firewood may be your best bet.

I am no miller or lumber expert, but it appears that there is not a large section of straight trunk. I think that is one important factor in making a "saw log" or firewood.

Maybe a hobby type miller would be the best bet. They don't always require the premium stuff to make it worth their while, but I'm not sure how much cash your gonna make from that kind of deal.

In your tree_2 pic, it appears that even the long section has a "Y" and then another branch just a few more feet up. I think that is gonna make for some tough milling for anything with length.

Jags said:
I am no miller or lumber expert, but it appears that there is not a large section of straight trunk. I think that is one important factor in making a "saw log" or firewood.

Maybe a hobby type miller would be the best bet. They don't always require the premium stuff to make it worth their while, but I'm not sure how much cash your gonna make from that kind of deal.

there's really no cash value there for a sawmill I could make 2.00 a bf out of it. Does not have to be straight to slab out, and even for a hobbyist it would have to be free (keeping all the wood) or paying to have it done.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

there's really no cash value there for a sawmill I could make 2.00 a bf out of it. Does not have to be straight to slab out, and even for a hobbyist it would have to be free (keeping all the wood) or paying to have it done.

+1
If you weigh the cost of firewood against the very few dollars you might make on lumber, I think you'll find your answer.

Werm said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

+1
If you weigh the cost of firewood against the very few dollars you might make on lumber, I think you'll find your answer.

And to even take it a step further: the hassle of arranging the milling, time on site, etc. to "possibly" make a few bucks - I would be smacking into triangle shaped wood at about 20" long. Remember - CSD firewood has a "worth" too.

Jags said:
Werm said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

+1

And to even take it a step further: the hassle of arranging the milling, time on site, etc. to "possibly" make a few bucks - I would be smacking into triangle shaped wood at about 20" long. Remember - CSD firewood has a "worth" too.

don't forget the minimum charge even a small band miller will want 300.00+ just to come out and if they hit metal your buying the blade.

You can't tell for sure from the picture but it doesn't look like the butt log would be very long. Regardless, it no doubt would not be worth a logger's time to come for one log. I say make it into firewood and forget the milling.

Thanks for all of the replies. By searching through old posts, I figured it wouldn't be worth much, and if it was, it wouldn't be worth the trouble for the one tree. Most likely I will cut it up for firewood and give some sections to friends for hobbies (bowl turning and furniture making). My Mother's insurance company might even pay to have it cut up since it damaged part of a deck.

In general I believe that deciding whether to take a tree for lumber or for firewood often boils down to several key issues:

1) How big is the tree? When it comes to making boards, bigger is almost always better . . . small trees will not produce that much lumber.

2) How many trees do you have? If you have several trees on site it may be worth it to hire someone to come in with a portable sawmill and cut the lumber. One tree? Probably not worth the expense . . . for you, the guy with the sawmill or anyone looking to buy the tree and mill the wood.

3) How twisted is the wood? Straight wood is better when it comes to lumber. Straight and long. If the wood is twisted it may not be worth much when it comes to lumber.

4) What species is the wood . . . and a related question would be who might want the wood and for what purpose? For example, if a poplar came down around here there are many people that would just let the tree rot . . . me, I would cut it up for firewood, but that's me. Cherry might be a little more desirable, but one cherry would not produce a lot of wood so that would limit who would find this wood desirable . . . . they might want it to make a single table, couple of chairs, bowls, etc. . . . but I don't suspect you'll have large mills lined up at your door wanting the wood for cherry flooring or to make cherry cabinents.

This said . . . I suspect your best bet is to cut up this tree and make firewood out of it . . . if you want to make some money, cutting that wood up, splitting it and stacking it with a for sale sign on it might be your best bet.

Lumber is a pretty good use of cherry.
well seasoned lumber is a good thing to have around.
A good 10" or more log will make several board feet of useful lumber.
Very least it's kindling :)

I've saved straight trunks ( far and few between ) and everyone who claims to want them never come for them .

Only cherry I've successfully given away was some odd pieces (that wouldn't have split anyway) that my niece artist and one or two of her friends, for carving up or whatever they do with it. (one of the pieces I gave her sits on her deck with a plant pot on it. Must be one of those "future" projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.