Black Cherry.....Season Quick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I have a descent amount of black cherry that I will be cutting down and splitting in the next few weeks. Will I have a shot at this stuff being near 20% or less come this upcoming winter? It'll be stacked in full sun.

Yes cherry seasons quick!

+1 Not as fast as Ash, but otherwise one of the very fastest drying high-btu woods.

BurnIt13 said:
I have a descent amount of black cherry that I will be cutting down and splitting in the next few weeks. Will I have a shot at this stuff being near 20% or less come this upcoming winter? It'll be stacked in full sun.

If you have a good summer then yes. Depending on the size of your splits you should have a moisture content between 18-24 percent by the time you burn it, that is what we had our first year (2009-2010) heating with a wood stove burning Cherry.

The first year we did get started late getting wood plus I stacked it on the south side which was not the best place for it. This year the wood was up for a full year on the Northeast side which received full wind and a good 6-7 hours of sun so this year I never put the moisture meter on the cherry that I recall and it burned great.

We will have a total of nine cord of cherry up by fall (over six already) so this years cherry (been up since last year) will have been up for two years.

Zap

If I cut cherry during the winter or spring and got it split and stacked....in the wind (not necessarily in the sun), I would not hesitate to burn it the following winter. It does season really quickly. I also like to burn cherry and am fortunate to have some most years.

BurnIt13, I hope you caught the point about the wood needing wind more than sun. Sun is nice, but wind is best.

Absolutely! wild cherry is one of my favorite woods. Seasons fast, burns good, and puts out a very pleasant aroma. Makes wonderful furniture, flooring, and cabinets too!

chinkapin_oak said:
Absolutely! wild cherry is one of my favorite woods. Seasons fast, burns good, and puts out a very pleasant aroma. Makes wonderful furniture, flooring, and cabinets too!

I agree. Sometimes I'll get pieces so nice that I feel guilty about putting them in the stove, though.

Depends . . . good summer, split small to medium, good exposure to sun and wind, stacked loosely and most importantly processed now instead of two months from now . . . then the answer will be probably yes, it may be seasoned by the fall. Cherry seems to season pretty quickly . . . but beware . . . it also smells wicked good and when splitting you may be distracted and tempted to keep picking up the fresh splits and smelling them.

As everyone has said, one of the quickest to dry, best smelling and all around a good burn. Lower BTUs than Oak or Locust but I like to have some every year. Got me through my first year of burning until I got the Oak seasoned.

What everyone else said...Black Cherry saved my butt the first year I had my wood stove. Wood was split in May and I could decently burn it that winter.

Agree with all the above. I put up about a 1/2 cord of Cherry in October. Been on pallets, uncovered, all winter. Went to the stack a week or so ago, and I swear I could burn them now - nice and light. Didn't check moisture with the MM, but all other signs say 'ready'. Should be awesome for shoulder season this fall. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.