Black Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Im 99.9999% sure this was a black locust I cut down in Jan. at my old fraternity house. My own doubt is that this is the ONLY BL that I have seen ANYWHERE besides the immediate area.

Ive seen here where I can cut back the suckers to get a new tree. Right now the stump is COVERED in new growth and there are suckers growing all over the place.

Photos are of leafs and of part of the stump (ants went to town on it)

Attachments

• IMG-20110611-00034.jpg
    IMG-20110611-00034.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG-20110611-00032.jpg
    IMG-20110611-00032.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 396
From the leaves and the wood, black locust.
The bark looks kinda thin, though; it's typically much thicker than that, proportionally.
They'll send up suckers like crazy from the roots, too. Considered an invasive by CT DEP.

Leaves say BL. Hard to tell, are those thick pieces of bark on there or something else?
I split some BL yesterday aft. Rounds weren't as weathered as the one in your pic, but the grain certainly looks the same.
I've scrounged a bit of it from nearby, and am anxious to try it out. I've read here that it's hard to light, but I'm just going to put a split or two on the top of loads of other wood to extend the burn time if needed.

After you split it open, if it looks like the color salmon on the inside.......Black Locust it is. Great wood

Remmy122 said:
Right now the stump is COVERED in new growth and there are suckers growing all over the place.

It's amazing how fast the suckers grow out of the stumps and the surrounding area. You'll have more firewood in no time.

NordicSplitter said:
After you split it open, if it looks like the color salmon on the inside.......Black Locust it is. Great wood

color blind, so thats not an option :)

The bark was alot thicker than this shows.

Do I need to cut some of the suckers back for it to grow into a tree and not the insane bush it is right now? The guys at the fraternity house could careless, but Im thinking firewood :)

SolarAndWood said:
Remmy122 said:
Right now the stump is COVERED in new growth and there are suckers growing all over the place.

It's amazing how fast the suckers grow out of the stumps and the surrounding area. You'll have more firewood in no time.
Looks like a fast-growing tree, judging by the growth rings. I've got some dead/standing on a couple of neighbors' places, maybe I should try to prune or promote growth on the stuff that's still alive...

You will want to thin the suckers, leaving only one, or perhaps a couple if you want a mulit-trunk tree or a small grove of trees. The suckers come up way too close together, so there is not room for all of them to grow into trees. Select a couple of straight ones and remove the rest. Repeat frequently. I think after a while the tree will send up fewer suckers, but it will always produce some suckers that you'll need to cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.