Black Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
Anyone have any experience with Black Oak? Anyone know which it would be closer compared to, Red, White, Pin, or Willow Oak? I had at least a cords worth dropped in my yard..

Black oak is a species of Red oak, and should burn similar to other red oaks.

quick explaination:

there are two groups of oaks, red oaks and white oaks - within each group of oaks there are several species. Black oak is one of the species that belongs to the red oak group.

for example around here there are:

white oak group
white oak
chestnut oak
swamp white
post oak

red oak group
norther red oak
scarlet oak
black oak
bear oak
pin oak

black oak should burn similar to other red oaks. I burn black and northern red, and haven't noticed a difference.

oh yeah, and you mentioned willow oak - thats another red oak - but doesn't grow this far north.

Thanks for the info. So looks like Ive got more "3 year seasoning" wood. I've got a lot of Red Oak, I'll add it to the pile for 2013.

I was thinking there was a blackjack oak. Is that the same species as black oak?

splitnstack said:
I was thinking there was a blackjack oak. Is that the same species as black oak?

I think that blackjack oak is similar to pinochle oak

Love black oak. Great, long burning, high BTU wood. Split small - 3-4 inches - and will season in one long hot Texas summer. Fire all last weekend. High of 47 Sunday. High of 87 Wednesday - go figure. Going to have more seasoning this week, but cold again Friday...

Hey, I think there is a blackjack oak but the leaves are very distinctive looking compared to black oak.

Quite a lot of it in the midwest.It can hybridize with Northern Red Oak & sometimes hard to tell the difference between them.Wood is the same density,texture,strength etc. & used for same purposes.Normally not as well-formed as Red Oak,tree trunks tend to be shorter & have more limbs/knots.But its great burning wood & splits pretty good most of the time,just takes more time to dry than most of the White Oaks.

splitnstack said:

no blackjack oak is a different species. blackjack oak only has three really fat lobes that aren't really separated from each other very much, and the leaves are pretty thick and leathery. It is a more southern species - they have it in central and southern VA, but we don't have it up here. I don't think it normally gets as big, and might tend to grow on the drier, sandy areas with post oak.

but blackjack oak is also a red oak

Wooderson said:
Love black oak. Great, long burning, high BTU wood. Split small - 3-4 inches - and will season in one long hot Texas summer. Fire all last weekend. High of 47 Sunday. High of 87 Wednesday - go figure. Going to have more seasoning this week, but cold again Friday...

Temperatures don't surprise me. I recall one winter when we headed south. We stayed 3 days between Dallas and Waco. The day we got there and the next was great with temperatures in the 60's and it even hit 70 for a few hours. The next day though it was a high temperature of 29. It did not take long for us to leave the following morning.

Then the same thing happened Big Bend NP. Really warm down there. We stayed for a week. The last 2 days turned cold. Not freezing but not too far from it. We headed to Arizona.

It is nice to be able to move on when the weather does not suit. Friday night here and back in the high 20's. So, for those keeping score, That is freezing Monday night, 87 Wednesday, Freezing Friday night. Love it - If you don't like the weather, wait a little bit...

FLINT said:
splitnstack said:

no blackjack oak is a different species. blackjack oak only has three really fat lobes that aren't really separated from each other very much, and the leaves are pretty thick and leathery. It is a more southern species - they have it in central and southern VA, but we don't have it up here. I don't think it normally gets as big, and might tend to grow on the drier, sandy areas with post oak.

but blackjack oak is also a red oak
Thanks FLINT, good info. I may have cut or burned some and not even known it. I have for sure c/s/s and burned quite a bit of post oak in the past and it did always seem to come off of dry, droughty land.

Thistle said:
Quite a lot of it in the midwest.It can hybridize with Northern Red Oak & sometimes hard to tell the difference between them.Wood is the same density,texture,strength etc. & used for same purposes.Normally not as well-formed as Red Oak,tree trunks tend to be shorter & have more limbs/knots.But its great burning wood & splits pretty good most of the time,just takes more time to dry than most of the White Oaks.
Sorry Thistle, good info from you too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.