Black or Honeylocust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotvl

Burning Hunk
Oct 23, 2009
southern ontario
I only have room for a half cord more in my 8 cord of stacks and I was going for the HL I got a half cord from last month. Well on my way by to see if it was stillt here I came upon a stack of black locust logs. Which should I go after first untill I have more room next month?

Attachments

• 111320111722.jpg
    111320111722.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 508
  • 112020111729.jpg
    112020111729.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 511
blujacket said:
Get all! Honey has a few more btu's

I wish I could, I have 8 cords on my 70x120 lot and no room for any more. They are putting a new expressway through my city and threre is a few hundred trees in piles through out the path. The are probably going to chip it all, it makes me sad to see all this wood I have no room for.

scotvl said:
I only have room for a half cord in my stacks and I was going for the HL I got a half cord from last month. Well on my way by to see if it was stillt here I came upon a stack of black locust logs. Which should I go after first untill I have more room next month?

Is this a trick question?

Bigg_Redd said:
scotvl said:
I only have room for a half cord in my stacks and I was going for the HL I got a half cord from last month. Well on my way by to see if it was stillt here I came upon a stack of black locust logs. Which should I go after first untill I have more room next month?

no trick, what I don't grab today might be gone when I have more room. I want opinions on what is better to grab first.

scotvl said:
Bigg_Redd said:
scotvl said:

no trick, what I don't grab today might be gone when I have more room. I want opinions on what is better to grab first.

Can you fit any into your living room or a spare bedroom? :cheese:
Hate to see beautiful btu's like that go to waste.

scotvl said:
Bigg_Redd said:
scotvl said:

The correct answer is to grab whatever is closest first, then MAKE room for the rest.

I'd grab as much of both as I could squeeze onto my property.Grass is overrated anyway,especially this time of year.

Thistle said:
I'd grab as much of both as I could squeeze onto my property.Grass is overrated anyway,especially this time of year.
LOL I wish, I haven't burt either and only have a half cord of HL never had black locust before so I think I'm going to go get the BL.

Well I went and got a trailer full of the Black Locust, I hope it burns as good or better as the HL because it doesnt smell as good. LOL not as heavy as the HL either.

Attachments

• 112020111731.jpg
    112020111731.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 382
scotvl said:
Well I went and got a trailer full of the Black Locust, I hope it burns as good or better as the HL because it doesnt smell as good. LOL not as heavy as the HL either.
Wait til you smell it while its burning. Kind of a urine odor (outside).

I would go for the Black Locust because it doesn't rot nor get many bugs. Honey Locust in my stacks gets chewed up by powder post beetles, which isn't a major problem but Black Locust doesn't have the same problem so BL wins.

Wow to be able to cherry pick rounds like that is crazy, I would be taking vacation days from work just to grab as much as I could regardless of storage capacity, would probably rent a storage garage :-O

I went with thd BL because I've never had any before and already have half a cord of the HL. I split a couple rounds and the trunk was 38% and a limb was @ 22%, pretty dry compared to the HL rounds that were ol when I checked them and they were cut months before.

scotvl said:
I went with thd BL because I've never had any before and H already have half a cord of the HL. I split a couple rounds and the trunk was 38% and a limb was @ 22%, pretty dry compared to the HL rounds that were ol when I checked them and they were cut months before.
I've only heard one person unhappy with BL. You can't loose! Do the least work and get the biggest return.

Grab the BL. As said above, you don't need a lawn in the winter. You can stack it in the spring after making room for it all winter. That's what I am doing on my 100x100 lot. Driveways are good for storage too as long as its not in the way of snow removal or parking. Heck you could even leave it on the trailer for a while if you had to. I may be storing a cord or so on the old flatbed for a few weeks this winter until I make room to on my racks.

Status
Not open for further replies.