Black Walnut score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gear Dog

Jan 18, 2011
Newburgh, NY
Thanks to Irene a buddy of mine had to cut up a Black Walnut & I think a Basswood tree. Was going to throw it in the back of his property and asked if I wanted it. So I headed over and took it all. He mentioned that he went through 5 chainsaw blades cutting up the walnut so it should burn real good.
I took the basswood with the intention of using it for carving. The walnut almost looks too good to burn. This is my first of hopefully many free loads. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the wood pile so I can get to it easily enough when it snows.

8deb8823.jpg

a55f2b16.jpg

How does walnut burn?... never burnt it

That walnut sure is pretty. Don't see it much here on LI.

steeltowninwv said:
How does walnut burn?... never burnt it

I have been burning walnut for about 5 years. It rates about 20 million btu per cord. For comparison white ash rates 21 million and red oak rates 22-24 million depending on the nchart you read. When properly seasoned it does real well in a gasifier and is medium to better in a conventional wood burner. The catch phrase is seasoned as it will hold on to moisture if not cut and split so air can get to it. I just cut one log (ranging 16"-20" in daimeter) I have had for four years and it still was damp at the heart to touch after cutting. I knew that would happen if left on the ground so this spring I elevated it on splits to let air get under it and dry it some but like I said it was still damp at the heart. Split it will dry fairly quick but will have to wait until next heating season (2012-2013) to really burn best. Dries quicker than oak and coals well but don't quite heat as long.

Wow great score! Consider yourself lucky as you just hit the firewood lottery!!

Ray

Great score, you need to school your buddy to keep from burying his chainsaw in the dirt when he's cutting. You shouldn't have to sharpen your chain at all for that much walnut let alone go through 5 chains! (its a softer wood than oak for cutting and a "medium" hardwood as far as btus go). The good news for you is the walnut I've had splits like a dream.

Looks like some mulberry in there.

Wow.jpg

5 chains to cut one tree! Or was it 5 blades?! Say what?!

Do yourself a favor and never lend that man your saw.

You got a nice haul there and good for you for getting it. Walnut burns just fine.

love black walnut- I love the way is smells!

smokinjay said:
Looks like some mulberry in there.
That's what I thought too.Much too yellow for Basswood,and the bark is different also.

If the other wood is Mulberry you will like that even better than the Walnut!!

Status
Not open for further replies.