Black Walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience its not that great. It made alot of ash and not much heat. Probably better used to make some furniture.

http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm That link will give you some btu values of various woods. I burned black walnut for three years and heated my home well. If it is really dry it will put out a lot of heat but it is on the low end of the better woods like oak and hickory. It is actually a little better than cherry but very little. If it is not really dry there is alot more ash from it in my gasifier.

Boxer said:
In my experience its not that great. It made alot of ash and not much heat. Probably better used to make some furniture.

+1 given the chance (nice stright one) it goes to a cabinet maker.

I'll trade 2 for 1, my hickory for your black walnut. The catch... your walnut has to be in log length, straight with no branches and have a pronounced heartwood. Beautiful stuff that I just can't find locally.

Some people mistakenly call butternut "walnut" because they have a similar grain, but butternut is much less dense and would be an inferior wood to burn.

I don't care for it. I tried to burn some last year that had been seasoning for one year and did not burn well, thought it wasn't ready even though no sizzling or moisture out the ends. Put in the pile for this year, same results so I am not impressed.

cre73 said:
I don't care for it. I tried to burn some last year that had been seasoning for one year and did not burn well, thought it wasn't ready even though no sizzling or moisture out the ends. Put in the pile for this year, same results so I am not impressed.

I'm surprised. Never burned anything but woodworking scraps, but the stuff is rated right up there with cherry. Expected more out of it. If any ever shows up in my wood delivery, it will be turned into bowls for wedding gifts. I'm especially fond of crotches... tree crotches I meant.

I've burned a bunch of it, and have some yet to burn. I'm sittin on a nice grove of black walnut, nursing them to maturity. Some of 'em are downed from time to time, so I buck em and burn em.

Ain't the best for burning, but I'd never turn it down for sure.

Battenkiller said:
I'll trade 2 for 1, my hickory for your black walnut. The catch... your walnut has to be in log length, straight with no branches and have a pronounced heartwood. Beautiful stuff that I just can't find locally.

Some people mistakenly call butternut "walnut" because they have a similar grain, but butternut is much less dense and would be an inferior wood to burn.

I am in central indiana how close are you?

The "Blue Line" I'm just outside of surrounds the Adirondack Park... in NY.

However, if you want to stop by..... lol

Battenkiller said:
The "Blue Line" I'm just outside of surrounds the Adirondack Park... in NY.

However, if you want to stop by..... lol

sure sure I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.