Black Walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher

Apr 2, 2009
Michigan thumb
I have a chance to get a bunch of Black walnut for next years wood and was wondering how good it burns?.

It burns fine, but is at the lower end of the BTU scale. we have burned a lot of it over the years. Until recently we only burned in a fireplace, but have burned some in the woodstove, and it burnt fine.

kingfisher said:
I have a chance to get a bunch of Black walnut for next years wood and was wondering how good it burns?.

Black Walnut, I always have some laying around, I have a couple acres of black walnut growing around here. Look, when it's cold out, I always reach for the Hickory first, the oak next, the locust is tied with the oak, the cherry after that, and then the walnut. The walnut burns faster than the others for sure, but is better than sycamore, boxelder, willow, and pine.

For sure, I'd be gettin' as much of it as I could, 'specially if it's free :)

that's my .02

With the warmer temps I've been burning some lately. It's the same btu wise as the adored cherry, I don't think the burn characteristics are as nice though. I wouldn't count on it being my cold weather go to wood but if it's all you got it'll work just fine.

I have burned plenty of black walnut over the years. As long as the wood is seasoned it burns fine, just quickly and leaves a lot of ashes. A black walnut that had blown down on our property and that I had cut up and stacked in the back of the wood shed got us through he blizzard of '93 here in WNC. The storm hit so late (mid March) most people, like me were just cleaning out the last of the wood in the sheds/piles. Thank goodness for this pile of walnut in the shed, it really saved us. We were without power for a week with temps below zero at night and 3-4 ft of snow, totally stranded.

If it free and you have room for it go for it. I only burn it when I don't need much heat! But it alway's around and it alway's free sometimes you can get them to pay you to haul it away.

I always pick up Walnut even though it isn't the greatest fuelwood; must be something attractive about the aroma...splits very easily, burns so-so, sometimes chars more than burns. But I had some that I burned a few weeks ago that really rocked-it got me wondering if certain Walnut trees are better for fuelwood than others? These pieces seemed more solid than usual, if that makes any sense, and burned great with a lot of heat.

I've burnt some Walnut, I would consider it similar to Cherry. I've had some Walnut that was really hard to split. It would crack and shoot several feet from the hydraulic splitter!

I burn some of it every year. easy on the saw and the maul. BUrnsa fine. I try to use it in the fall and this time of year, but if I run into it in the middle of winter, it goes in the fire anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.