Blackened window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
Did a 6 hour test run today just to make sure its ago for the season.......after 5 hours of running window was dark enough to where i couldn't see the ash in the burn pot....im burning lignetics and my settings are 4-7-1 (englander 25 pdvc). i'm only concerned about the glass beacause i wanna be able to see how the stove is operating........am i doing something wrong or is this just how fast they blacken....thanks

Is this your 1st burn??. I would suggest you turn that baby up on high for a time then lower it a bit and see if you need a air adjustment.

woodsman23 said:
Is this your 1st burn??. I would suggest you turn that baby up on high for a time then lower it a bit and see if you need a air adjustment.
not first burn.....but i just installed it in march, similiar issue...what would a high burn do?.......

Are you burning the hardwood lignetics or softwood, hardwood is in a green labeled bag, softwood is in a red labeled bag. i have the same stove and noticed the hardwood was much quicker at turning the glass dark, no matter how much i increased the air. i believe i ran my sove on 2-9-1 with the hardwood & 3-7-1 with the softwood, seemed to burn hotter with the hardwood though..

harleysporty1200 said:
Are you burning the hardwood lignetics or softwood, hardwood is in a green labeled bag, softwood is in a red labeled bag. i have the same stove and noticed the hardwood was much quicker at turning the glass dark, no matter how much i increased the air. i believe i ran my sove on 2-9-1 with the hardwood & 3-7-1 with the softwood, seemed to burn hotter with the hardwood though..
it's the hardwood......tried some barefoots, acp, dry creek, and cubex.....all with the same result, but the lignetics were the better of them

whats the setup look like , if you are smoking the glass quickly you are running rich , too much fuel or not enough air. with the settings you gave you shouldnt be running that rich.

BTU maybe i should run some of those pellets to see,

BTW most of our in house testing is done with lignetics eastern version. so its likely not the pellets. call me at my office if you are still fighting this , we can discuss it and see why its doing this

stoveguy2esw said:
whats the setup look like , if you are smoking the glass quickly you are running rich , too much fuel or not enough air. with the settings you gave you shouldnt be running that rich.

BTW most of our in house testing is done with lignetics eastern version. so its likely not the pellets. call me at my office if you are still fighting this , we can discuss it and see why its doing this
set up comes off the back of stove to a T then 3ft up the wall to a 90 deg. and out the wall

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
check the air intake all the way to the burnplate for obstructions?
all holes are clear......stove is new since march and only has had 20 bags burned......but it still got a good cleaning 2 weeks ago

Open the air flow a bit at a time and see if you notice any differences in flame, ie: pointy flame with no smoke, sharp rapid flame is good, if it is a lazy flame then open air flow more... Do you have an OAK?

The window on my Harman gets dirty as well....some pellets make it dirty faster. I found with some of the better pellets (low ash) it stays cleaner much longer. I also clean my with a Mr. Clean magic eraser when the glass is cool and for some reason it stays cleaner longer. Try a "super premium" to see if it stays cleaner.

woodsman23 said:
Open the air flow a bit at a time and see if you notice any differences in flame, ie: pointy flame with no smoke, sharp rapid flame is good, if it is a lazy flame then open air flow more... Do you have an OAK?
yes i have an OAK......flames are good, but always seem to get the lazy high one when auger adds a new batch of pellets....3-7-1 settings.....air can only goto 9

stoveguy2esw said:

Hey mike, tried again yesterday and I can't seem to zero it in....can i get the # to ur shop?....thanks george

HEMI_1500 said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Hey mike, tried again yesterday and I can't seem to zero it in....can i get the # to ur shop?....thanks george

800-245-6489

Status
Not open for further replies.