Blackjack oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dante2

Oct 5, 2008
Okc OK
Does anyone have any experience burning this wood? I have 5 ac. and a lot of these trees growing on our land. I have a lot of small ones that have starting growing in the last 4 years and they seem to grow pretty fast. I also have a dead peach tree that I need gone. This any good to burn? Thank you for any info you can give.

It is a very common wood for my stash since there seems to be an abundance of fallen dead black and blackjack oak in the Ozarks. Culprits of sudden oak death.

The reason why I really cherish both the black and blackjack oak is the wood is by far the most rot resistant of the oaks (along with post oak) especially when in contact with the ground so when I find a downed tree on the woodlot I have access to the wood rarely is punky. It also doesn't take much time to season it at the most it takes 2 months to season if covered and exposed to the sun. Splitting it is fairly easy but tougher than white oak.

With that said since I am only familiar with the trees in those species that had been dead for some time so I have no idea how long would it take to season cut from a live tree. To be safe I would use the standard 2 years for oaks cut live.

Peach is also a very fine wood to burn but it probably has more value in smoking poultry in the barbeque.

Thank you for the information. I just might let them get a little fatter for a few more years before I cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.