Blaze king price difference between dealers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
Are dealers generally the same price wise?
I'm looking to buy a Chinook in the next month or so when I get all my floor joists in place and get the subfloor down.

I was going to start calling around for pricing to see if they have them or if i have to wait a few weeks.
There's only 2 within 100miles of me, should I call further out? say 500miles away?
My truck gets about 16mpg, so as long as I make up the price in gas and some extra I really don't care how far I'm going.
If there's a $500-1000 difference by calling further away, I'd be pretty dumb not to go the extra distance.
But I'm wondering if it's worth calling every dealer I can find...

I'd call every place you're willing to drive to. I got a rockin price on a king from the first dealer I called, so I didn't check any more. Their price on a Chinook was $4050 with freight, I believe. Nice looking stove, good luck with whatever you get.

Be ready to lie a little bit about where you live. Seems BK has some sort of policies against selling out of town. Whenever I buy anything, I consider driving farther for a cheaper product. I like the drive and the deal is an excuse for a nice long drive with a purpose.

Buying east of the Mississippi seems to add about 800 bucks(or more) to the total. :lol:

rdust said:
Buying east of the Mississippi seems to add about 800 bucks(or more) to the total. :lol:

Yep, and a truck ride for mine was only $150 from west of it.

rdust said:

Yeah, I heard that but I wasn't sure if it was true or not... :p
I'd cross it to save 1k.

We sell the Chinook for $3700 with a black door and I think the ash pan is another $300. We're new dealers and were told to not sell outside of our sales territory and we plan on sticking to that agreement. I'm just giving you a price comparison for another NY dealer.

Franks said:
We sell the Chinook for $3700 with a black door and I think the ash pan is another $300. We're new dealers and were told to not sell outside of our sales territory and we plan on sticking to that agreement. I'm just giving you a price comparison for another NY dealer.

Hey! Thanks for the info.
How far does your sales territory extend? does it go in to 14001? (~150mi west of you, I'm actually in Genesse county, 14001 shows up as Erie though)

When I went to the dealer lookup on BKs site, now it says...

This dealer look up is restricted to a 75 mile radius from your location.
and only came up with Pete's Blaze King Stoves in Faloner... (bout 60 miles)

Before I recall you used to be able to select a range.
So perhaps the territory is ~75mi radius roughly?
I don't know... :p
But if you can sell it to me, I'd gladly take the ride out to support a fellow hearter.
Might even be able to pick one up this weekend or next if you have them in stock :)

Oh! and you do know the min btu output of the Chinook? It's not listed on their site or manual... I was just wondering if you knew.
Using the Princess as a base and comparing to the estimated Chinook burn time and firebox, I figured it out to be somewhere around 6,200 I think (I have the math posted on this site somewhere)
Was just wondering... if not, it doesn't really matter too much :p

I hate games like this that manufacturers play to try and limit the free and open market.

Highbeam said:
I hate games like this that manufacturers play to try and limit the free and open market.

I understand where you're coming from. BK's official position is they want to make sure the local dealer is present to install (or inpsect) and support the stove in any way needed. From their view they still operate in a free and open market because they have to compete with all the other brands. I could choose to sell a Princess Classic for $4,000.00 here in NH (mind you I DO NOT!!) but everyone would buy a Woodstock or Kuma instead. I still have to be competitive with other brands. Local market has a lot of bearing on the issue, too.

:runs for cover:

Hey Hass. Your outside of my sales territory buddy. I'd love to help you out. In regards to pricing, I take the retail and add about $100 for shipping. That being the case, your local guy "should" be in the same ball park. I always like to keep it as local as possible. Our territory is Jefferson, Oswego, Madison and northern Onondaga countys. Thats plenty of area to graze.

Just try to work with your more local guy and see if he can cut ya a deal seein its 800000 degrees out.

I'll give ya a hint, folks get a better deal from me if they are honest and up front about stuff. Tell him you got a price of about $4000 with the ash pan, but YOU want to keep the money as local as possible. He may budge a little bit.

If you're ever out this way feel free to stop by and say hello. I just cant sell ya a stove.

I don't get it, if a guy walks into Franks store and says he wants to buy a Blaze King stove your going to sell it aren't you? If you find out later the person lives a little out of your territory so what. I don't think the local dealer is going to dis a warranty claim or maintenance call just because the person bought from somewhere else will they? Maybe this is just a suggestion from Blaze King as they don't want to step on the local dealers toes?

You have to use judgement. If a guy finds me on an internet forum and asks if he can buy a stove from me because his local dealer charges more money, and I know the manufacturer expects us to respect sales territories, I respond as I did above.

If someone calls me from Buffalo to buy a BK stove, I'll do what I can to help them buy local, even if it means me calling their local dealer. (BK or just about any manufacturer.)

If I have a BK stove in my warehouse and a guy walks in and says, "hey how much is your Chinook? Ok, do you have it in stock? Ok great, heres the money, put it on my truck" I may just take the check and load him up.

Id love to sell every stove to everyone, but there are a myriad of cascading negatives on both sides if us retailers started whoring things out like the online guys do.

Thats why just about nothing in my showroom can be found on ebay, zoobler, amazon, etc. I need to make a third on what I sell or I dont stay open. I'm sure most brick and mortar retailers are in the same position.

In regards to warranty, I'll warranty a stove bought elsewhere at a charge. So if my normal rate is $65 per hour including travel, and the call takes 2 hours, I'll take $130 minus any manufacturer reimbursements and bill the difference to the customer. If I had made the $500 on the stove sale, I would have normally absorbed that extra cost.

Same goes with parts. Some manufacturers will send a part under warranty but bill us the shipping. I will absorb that cost for a stove bought from me, and pass it along on a stove bought elsewhere.

I actually had someone 6 miles from my shop buy a Mansfield from a dealer 150 miles or so away because they were $70 cheaper. This was a $4000 or so sale. He called me to come to his house to show him how to use the stove because it wasnt drafting right. I said I'll send a tech over for $65 to teach him all he needs to know. He says to me "see, thats why I'm glad I didnt buy the stove from you"

Retail is a hoot.

If a guy is willing to walk into your showroom and pick up a stove, he is in your territory. If Blaze King wants to set fixed pricing for their stoves, thats fine. It would be the same thing Sony does with electronics. I don't understand Blaze Kings strategy. The only dealer anywhere near me (just north of Fairfield County) raised their prices when the tax credit came out. I called a couple of other dealers and they were all several hundred dollars cheaper. My cousin lives in Washington State and priced one for me locally. Over $1200 less. ???

I just bought a Keystone to go along with my Fireview and combined I paid about $200 more than the quote I read for the Chinook. Can anyone explain to me why a steel stove sells for $4k. It is an excellent functional design but besides the themostat, its just a catalytic steel stove. What am i missing?

CTburning said:
I just bought a Keystone to go along with my Fireview and combined I paid about $200 more than the quote I read for the Chinook. Can anyone explain to me why a steel stove sells for $4k. It is an excellent functional design but besides the themostat, its just a catalytic steel stove. What am i missing?

I think it's because Woodstock is factory direct which cuts out alot of middle man and dealer costs. If your looking for a similar sized stone stove compared to the Blaze Kings, Hearthstone's big stoves are right up there in price. Around here the Equinox is over $4k and the Mansfield is well over 3k.

Franks said:
I actually had someone 6 miles from my shop buy a Mansfield from a dealer 150 miles or so away because they were $70 cheaper. This was a $4000 or so sale. He called me to come to his house to show him how to use the stove because it wasnt drafting right. I said I'll send a tech over for $65 to teach him all he needs to know. He says to me "see, thats why I'm glad I didnt buy the stove from you"

Retail is a hoot.

That's kinda funny. Did he really expect you to come out of the goodness in your heart?

jeff_t said:
Franks said:

Retail is a hoot.

That's kinda funny. Did he really expect you to come out of the goodness in your heart?

Sometimes we do, Jeff..sometimes we do. But loyalty is earned and charity is deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.