bleeding a hydraulic splitter properly ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
as some of you know , i bought a used splitter thats working great.... but i just got a free wood score of about 2 cords . i want to bleed out the atf fluid before i start splitting, and want to know the proper procedure to drain ALL or MOST of the fluid out of the system .

i found this reference online , page 24 of the PDF document - http://braveproducts.com/uploadedfiles/manuals/SR0622-SR0626.pdf .

will this work for mine?

i just want to do it the right way. at the very least i can change the hydro filter and fill the reservoir with new fluid and forget draining the lines, right?
thanks guys!

It's not a bad idea to change the fluid, and filter once a year if you can. The instructions in that link will work for you.

First off I would recommend to change the filter and fluid now also, you don't know exactly what's in it or how old the fluid is. Then I would change the filter about every 100 hours and the fluid every 300 or 400 hours. Right now in your situation that might change depending on how clean the removed fluid was, and I'd open up that filter to see how dirty it was. If it comes out dark and dirty I would change it again after 20 hours, if it come out clean, check it when you change the filter at about 100 hours.
Also monitor how hot your fluid gets as heat and dirt are the hydraulic systems' enemies, the hotter it runs the faster the fluid will degrade.
great job on scoring the 2 cords,

ok guys, followed the directions and all is well. it took 5.5 gallons of napa atf fluid! sheesh!

i need to work on sharpening/grinding down my wedge. on some of the logs, itll smoosh in the ends of the log about half an inch and then bog the motor so i have to let go of the control and move the log to a different position to get it to split. i know it shouldnt be bogging down at all on the logs it will do it on (5" cyl hydro/ 22gpm single stage pump), and ive noticed that if i tilt the leading edge of the log up off the I-beam itll split it no problem.

that makes me think the cylinder isnt in alignment and is pointing down, but i dunno . i just think i might replace the front wedge, or just get a new cylinder sometime, since my stroke is only about 18" or so . wouldnt mind 24" or whatnot. i know i know, it works fine, and ill split a dozen cords with it before i buy anything new im sure, but my wheels are always churning though :)

thx for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.