block off plate purpose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaccone

Jan 18, 2008
schenectady, NY
I was wondering what the block off plate does if anything other than blocking rain from coming down or heat from going up from the stove. I have almost no way to put in a plate in my fireplace. My damper is 2.5' wide and 6" across I was thinking of A) stuffing the whole thing up with ceramic fiber insulation good to 2600 degrees or B) if possible cutting a 6" section out of the damperand then closing it do that just the pipe up fits through then putting some ceramc around that. Will any of those work or do I have to make/fit/hammer/pound and do a metal plate?

I am not new to wood furnaces but I am a definate newbie to fireplace inserts so any help is appreciated.

Of course I got caught with my pants down in this ice storm and only had the insert only 80% ready so i had to use a kerosene heater.

Thanks, It did answer most of my thoughts. Mainly it seems the block of plate is to keep air from going up the chimney as I thought. I am not lined to the top but I think I can make something work safely with the ceramic insualtion I have enough of it to stuff it in the damper and make a seal ffrom the inside air and the ouside air. Just wanted to make sure so as I dont burn anything down.....

If you can insulate the liner, then install the block-off plate, you will have the best of both worlds. That's a nice hot flue and the heat down below where you want it.

I plan to line all the way up next year but will have to insulate what I can as much as I can now. Then pull it all out when I clean the chimney. Not sure if I will be able to get a piece of sheet metal where I would need to block it of so I am hoping the thick insulation will keep the air out.... I will try to get some pics when I am done (hope this week). Im axious to burn wood again after all these years!

mtaccone said:
... I am not lined to the top but I think I can make something work safely with the ceramic insualtion I have enough of it to stuff it in the damper and make a seal ffrom the inside air and the ouside air......

I wouldn't use the ceramic wool in there, mostly because it isn't nice to your lungs when it gets disturbed, and if you are using it as an airseal, it will get disturbed, as air will flow thru it, or you will disturb it when you shove it into place.

Metal plate is a better idea.

Edit - On re-reading your post, you MUST install a block off plate given that you have a direct connect partial liner. In the event of a chimney fire, any burning creosote that fals down the flue can fall around your partial liner, and back down into the firebox, where it will burn inside your house. The blockoff plate is intended to stop this in a partial liner (direct connect) install.

Be safe, and install the required plate. Your stove manual will have the specifics on the plate required for a direct connect partial liner install.

Thats what I was wondering(afraid of) I dont have much area to add a block off plate w/o cutting out brick I was thinking as I mentioned cutting a 6"section out of my 2.5' damper for the pipe and then closing it down tight as to be its own block off plate. Then put some of the ceramic or kaowool insulationaroud the pipe where I cut out the 6" square hole in the damper. Any objections?

Status
Not open for further replies.