Block Off Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
Ok as some of you know I'm new to wood burning. I had my small 1.3 cf wood insert installed and it did not have a block off plate. What was I missing not having a block off plate? Im going from 1.3 cf to 2.3 cf for longer burn times. This install I will be adding a block off plate with Roxul , and probably adding and sealing Roxul in the old fire place firebox around the insert because I have heard of others doing this on this site. My little 1.3 did perform well until sub zero temps. I have 1700 sq and it did keep the house around 70 which is good. Any help would be appreciated, would adding a block off plate to the 1.3 make a difference?

Not having a block off plate before, meant you were sending a bunch of heat outside of your living space. How much is hard to say. If you kept that place at 70 w/ no insulation around the unit, and only 1.3 cubes up until zero degree temps, you were doing well! You should be able to bake brownies on the coffee table now!

pen

Yeah the block off plate with the 2.3, or the DW for that matter, will help. The more heat held in that fireplace behind the surround the hotter the shroud on the insert the hotter the air that blower is going to be able to push out into the living space.

Do it.

I just did it. Jury's out 'til next season. I never trusted the guy I got to do the work.

That guy was me.

Status
Not open for further replies.