Blocking holes under burner plate PDV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
I have to say how pleased I am with this mod! I placed magnets over the two 3/4" holes under my wear plate and it really made a difference. My stove was running good before, but now, it has much less ash! about a coffee cup a day! only using a bag on a 24hr burn too! Very happy.
Now if I can get Dads PDV to run like this I can settle down with a nice scotch and enjoy the fruits of my labor!

Reactions: BackDoc
Did you do the mods to the burn plate? It is on this forum. Block the two rows of holes closest to the door and increase the size of the holes in the center. That made as much improvement for me as did blocking the holes that you are referencing.

That will likely be next. But it burns Sooo good now!

someone had a pic of the burn plate with color coded holes to show where to drill and what size. For the life of me, I cant seem to find it!!

That is the picture I used to do mine. I can't find it either. I searched for it because I was going to attach it in my last comment. It is here somewhere.

someone had a pic of the burn plate with color coded holes to show where to drill and what size. For the life of me, I cant seem to find it!!
That is the picture I used to do mine. I can't find it either. I searched for it because I was going to attach it in my last comment. It is here somewhere.

About half way down the page are the pictures..

Blocking holes under burner plate PDV

Some didn’t, the last pdv I restored didn’t have them either

My plate doesn't have the two big semi circle holes in the front. Hmmmm.
Mine are in the back on either side of the auger tube. there are corresponding holes in the cradle that direct air from under. I tried to block those and my stove would not light! not enough air to the igniter.

The air for the igniter actually comes through the igniter hole but it does need air in the area of the auger hole for good combustion. I don’t know why some are there and some aren’t. Maybe they were replaced with aftermarket or homemade.

I was thinking of drilling those two holes in mine but I am dialed in pretty good now and I think I will just leave well enough alone.

Ssyko, What do you suggest using for plugging the holes that are yellow? I have foil wrapped over them but what would be a suitable more permanent fix?

I have heard that some use stove cement. Others break out the mig welder and plug em for good.

Reactions: Ssyko and BackDoc
What he said^^^^^