Blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Last Sept, I posted that my son was getting an Englander 25 PUF (used) He got a good deal on this unit. He built a pad and installed the stove himself. ( Very independent young man) He and his wife painted the stove. I gave them one of those sun cut outs to put in the face of it. That took away some of the ugly look. So far, their whole house is warm. He is now on his second ton of pellets. Today he called me and asked about the The Convection (room air) Blower (Part # PU-4C447). He said it had stopped working. It was hot to touch. He was able to get it going again. He says there isn't any noises that would cause you to think something had gone wrong. Note, the day before, he did clean this stove and did use the leaf blower. Yes, he did disconnect the vac tube. He knows he can get a replacement blower for about $160 at HD. He was asking if this had ever happened to me.
I read over the stove manual can couldn't find any mention of the blower maintenance other than to replace it. Are there ports on that bower that need lube (3 in one oil) ? He said he would look and I told him I would ask my pellet pig brothers and sisters if they had any advise.

save$ said:
Last Sept, I posted that my son was getting an Englander 25 PUF (used) He got a good deal on this unit. He built a pad and installed the stove himself. ( Very independent young man) He and his wife painted the stove. I gave them one of those sun cut outs to put in the face of it. That took away some of the ugly look. So far, their whole house is warm. He is now on his second ton of pellets. Today he called me and asked about the The Convection (room air) Blower (Part # PU-4C447). He said it had stopped working. It was hot to touch. He was able to get it going again. He says there isn't any noises that would cause you to think something had gone wrong. Note, the day before, he did clean this stove and did use the leaf blower. Yes, he did disconnect the vac tube. He knows he can get a replacement blower for about $160 at HD. He was asking if this had ever happened to me.
I read over the stove manual can couldn't find any mention of the blower maintenance other than to replace it. Are there ports on that bower that need lube (3 in one oil) ? He said he would look and I told him I would ask my pellet pig brothers and sisters if they had any advise.

The blower and its motor need to be cleaned, I don't know what the makers plate on it has to say, but he needs to check it for lubrication information when he removes it to do a proper cleaning. They get all kinds of dust in them and then overheat, they also do not remove heat well when loaded with dust and that doesn't help at all. They likely have thermal protection and will shut down to protect themselves. Normal end state if this happens is an over temperature error shutdown. Sometimes the blower cools enough and they restart on their own, so this can happen and it not always gets noticed.

If it has Oil Ports, they should be noticeable without removing. But sometimes a previous owner may mistakenly put the motor in upsidedown. I would pull the motor and blow it out with an air compressor and then Lube accordingly. Also while its out, if he has a Power cord and wants to just Bench test it for an hour or so. Couldnt hurt.

Your Son sounds like a very smart man and is quite capable of all the things listed. Just ensure safety when running motor on out of stove. I remeber that unit. It actually turned out to be a very stunning unit. Especially with the Color selected (Cream/Ivory).

Has he tried to cross reference the motor through CSH incorporated? Or other electrical supply sites?

save$ said:
......Are there ports on that bower that need lube (3 in one oil) ? He said he would look and I told him I would ask my pellet pig brothers and sisters if they had any advise.

Tell him to get the 3in1 oil in the blue can....it's for electric motors.

Attachments

• blower lube ports.jpg
    blower lube ports.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 637
  • ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 611
imacman said:
save$ said:
......Are there ports on that bower that need lube (3 in one oil) ? He said he would look and I told him I would ask my pellet pig brothers and sisters if they had any advise.

Thanks, my son took the blower off and cleaned it up then put on the 3 in one oil. Said it runs well, quiet, and he thinks the stove is putting out more heat. He'll have a good working knowledge about that stove before long. Glad he got a unit that he can get parts for. Thanks again for the support.

save$ said:
imacman said:
save$ said:

Thanks, my son took the blower off and cleaned it up then put on the 3 in one oil. Said it runs well, quiet, and he thinks the stove is putting out more heat. He'll have a good working knowledge about that stove before long. Glad he got a unit that he can get parts for. Thanks again for the support.

And why is your son, not doing the grown up thing and become a member and ask for himself? ;-)

And why is your son, not doing the grown up thing and become a member and ask for himself? ;-)[/quote]

Internet Social Networking is not his thing. Neither is TV. He works, works, and works, when he plays it is outside with his kids, or his fishing pole, gun, boat, or snowmobile. About the only time he sits down is when he is riding somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.