Boiled Linseed Oil and Boric Acid Treatment for Decks???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbird560

Feb 2, 2011
SW Arkansas
I think I read on here somewhere that you could mix Boric Acid and Lindseed oil to treat
deck boards to protect them against insects and rot. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what ratios do you mix it and and how is it applied?
Thanks,
Jbird

I have used oil on decking but no boaric acid. We applied it by hand. old school, but that is what the client wanted.

shawn

I don't think I'd use BLO in an outdoor application. It isn't durable enough. It will work well on tool handles, but they generally aren't out in the rain. I don't know how much UV protection it has either.

Boric acid is extremely effective against insects, but it is hydroscopic which means it absorbs water easily. Once it absorbs water it's not very effective against insects. I wouldn't use it on a deck.

What did you use when you made your deck and what look do you want?

If you want a clear finish that will give you UV protection I'd look into a quality spar varnish. Spar varnishes are a clear finish made to expand and contract with wood movement plus it gives UV protection. The best insect protection I know of is air movement to dry the structure out.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.