boiler water feed valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
I'm doing some pre-season re-piping. I need to pipe in the pressure regulator and back-flow preventer for the water fill.
Where is the best spot to tie it in?

Preferably as close to the expansion tank as possible... To minimize risk of water being added to the system by pressure drops from pumps, valves, etc......

The other thing is that a lot of people prefer to keep the autofill turned off unless actually filling the system - in which case it doesn't make a huge difference where you put it, though it is nice if it is where it will help w/ purging the lines. The reasoning behind keeping it off is that if you have a leak, you learn about it sooner as your water level noticeably drops, and it limits the flood size to no more than what is in the system....

Gooserider

I have a hoze bib valve installed at a high point in my system and just connect a water hose when water needs to be added, which is rarely, unless I'm working on the system for some reason. My system is closed, pressurized, and the need to add water in normal operation is zero. The reason the valve is at a high point is that if air is admitted when I hook up the hose, the air quickly moves to an air vent valve and is expelled without running through the whole system.

jebatty said:
I have a hoze bib valve installed at a high point in my system and just connect a water hose when water needs to be added, which is rarely, unless I'm working on the system for some reason. My system is closed, pressurized, and the need to add water in normal operation is zero. The reason the valve is at a high point is that if air is admitted when I hook up the hose, the air quickly moves to an air vent valve and is expelled without running through the whole system.

I have a similar setup. Not autofeed since I don't "loose" water unless it's by my own doing. Saves some coin on parts....

Status
Not open for further replies.