Boiler water feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Is there any reason to hook up a seperate boiler water make-up on a Tarm Solo 40. It will be piped in parallel with the existing oil boiler? The oil boiler of course has its own water feed assembly with the back flow preventer and pressure regulator.

chuck172 said:
Is there any reason to hook up a seperate boiler water make-up on a Tarm Solo 40. It will be piped in parallel with the existing oil boiler? The oil boiler of course has its own water feed assembly with the back flow preventer and pressure regulator.

Not that I know of. You do want each boiler to have its own pressure relief valve, with no intervening shutoff valve.

Probably taking a risk, but I have no boiler make-up on my Tarm, and that's because the well that serves the shop that I heat is not winter protected, have to shut it down. I have done some emergency tests on the boiler and have had no unusual temp or pressure rise: full burn power failure, full burn pump failure. Max boiler temp/pressure in these cases: 200-210 and 18-20.

Are there other risks I'm not foreseeing?

The Tarm will be twined into the oil boiler. The Oil boiler does have it's own water make-up assembly. Unless I isolate the oil boiler, both boilers will always share the same pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.