Boiling and treating water after supply interruption due to Sandy.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
Just a thought for anyone who has had a water supply interruption, or may now have untreated water in their pipes..........

Just boiling water will not kill all bacteria. However, if you have a pressure canner which is used at 15psi, that should be adequate as water boils at about 250f at 15psi, rather than the usual 212f.

Hopefully, everybody has a few camping tablets close to hand, but you can never be too careful......

Keep safe,
Dave.

I wouldbe interested in your source for this. Most of my sources indicate that bringing the water to a boil is adequate

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/water.html

I do a lot of backpacking so have plenty of aqua mira (chlorine dioxide

We had a problem with severe flooding some 5 years back and the sewage treatment plant got flooded and dirty water got into the water supply.
At the time, people were told to not use any water from the domestic supply, and use bottled water where possible.
Some people had no bottled water, and were advised to pressure treat water in canners or autoclaves if possible as certain pathogens and spores could survive boiling at 212f.

Having read your link, I wonder if our authorities were being over cautious........

Status
Not open for further replies.