Boom sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
My stove pipe often makes a boom sound on start up in the morning. It didn't do it last year (1st year of burning with this fireplace). It is an Enerzone 2.5 ZC.

Is this a problem?

I get similar sounds once in a while. Upon inspection all seems to be good. I would recommend to take a look if your able. See the back side of the stove, inside, outside, and the pipe connection. Then the entire pipe if you can. Look for splits or loose joints. This type of noise is usually just regular expansion and contraction.

Sounds a little like a back puff . . . or mini back draft . . . when a smoldering fire finally gets enough oxygen or a high enough temp to suddenly ignite the combustible gases in the woodstove or flue.

I've had this happen to me once . . . and experienced the "whuff" and resulting smoke coming out of nooks and crannies I didn't even know I had . . . but it was my fault . . . I had a bunch of coals and I just tossed on a bunch of cardboard and shut the door and didn't adjust the air control . . . cardboard smoldered for some time before finally bursting into flame.

If this happens often . . . could it be that you've changed in the way you do your reloads -- perhaps keeping the door shut or not opening the air as long . . . just thinking.

firefighterjake said:
Sounds a little like a back puff . . . or mini back draft . . . when a smoldering fire finally gets enough oxygen or a high enough temp to suddenly ignite the combustible gases in the woodstove or flue.

I've had this happen to me once . . . and experienced the "whuff" and resulting smoke coming out of nooks and crannies I didn't even know I had . . . but it was my fault . . . I had a bunch of coals and I just tossed on a bunch of cardboard and shut the door and didn't adjust the air control . . . cardboard smoldered for some time before finally bursting into flame.

If this happens often . . . could it be that you've changed in the way you do your reloads -- perhaps keeping the door shut or not opening the air as long . . . just thinking.

Hmmm.... maybe but I think it has happened even with the door open. I'll keep this in mind though.

firefighterjake said:

Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.