Borrowed a 24" saw, then I saw the chain. Mein Gott!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
A friend was good enough to bring me an Echo CS-600p with a 24" bar. The only restriction is getting it back by "Spring". Before I started it, I ran my finger along the teeth and thought "that's not good". Fired it up and went after the target and what was coming out of the cut (if you could call it that) was like I was sanding with 200 grit sandpaper.

Brought it back to the house. He had given me a file. 13/64". I couldn't hardly get that thing pushed through a tooth. Did some quick math and used a 3/16" file since I have them. After about 30 minutes I was able to get the 13/64 through and did another 30 minutes with it.

Hit the rakers with a flat file for grins.

The thing that amazed me the most was that the top side of the teeth are not a straight, angled line any longer, but they're practically round!! Several have dents.

My problem is that I think the odds of finding a 13/64" file around here are slim. I think the chain is .050 GA with 81 drive teeth, and I'll be surprised if anyone has one. Online, either would be a week.

I kind of wanted using this saw to be fun. If the saw cuts in a mediocre fashion tomorrow, should I bag it and try and get a new chain?

I really wonder if he was using the saw to make horseshoes??!!!

Just call him and ask him if he minds if you get the chain sharpened, and take it someplace. Sounds like this chain is beyond what a file can fix.

Just call him and ask him if he minds if you get the chain sharpened, and take it someplace. Sounds like this chain is beyond what a file can fix.

That's a good point. There's plenty of tooth left. Just poked around on the net and saw a few places to contact.

Man, I'm impatient!! I really wanted to check this thing out. I'll look for a local sharpener and if that doesn't work well, I'll look for a replacement chain.

My Bud's going to get a very gentle but honest bit of advice when I return it. ;)

Reactions: D8Chumley
13/64" round files are the standard file Stihl specifies for their 3/8 pitch chain, so every Stihl dealer will have them. 7/32" round files will also work on Stihl 3/8 pitch chain, but the first sharpening will be a little more difficult.

That 13/64" file you were given also may be a clue as to why the chain may have been more troublesome to file. That is, it may be a Stihl chain on that Echo saw. Stihl chains are more easily sharpened with harder files (Stihl, Save Edge, et al.) than ths softer standard Oregon/Husqvarna files.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundchasm
13/64" round files are the standard file Stihl specifies for their 3/8 pitch chain, so every Stihl dealer will have them. 7/32" round files will also work on Stihl 3/8 pitch chain, but the first sharpening will be a little more difficult.

That 13/64" file you were given also may be a clue as to why the chain may have been more troublesome to file. That is, it may be a Stihl chain on that Echo saw. Stihl chains are more easily sharpened with harder files (Stihl, Save Edge, et al.) than the softer standard Oregon/Husqvarna files.

That is most excellent information. I do have a dealer near me and I'll ring them up. Maybe they'll even have a chain. I certainly did have the sense that the chain was tougher than the file. Very frustrating. I'm certainly no expert in filing, but there wasn't any of the smooth action I've gotten used to on my little Husky. Got some photos for the next post.

Here's the incredible rounded edge. About every 3rd or 4th tooth looks like that. Some are still straight. This is after about 30 minutes of solid filing. What's even weirder is that I can't see that I'm shortening the tooth when I file. That made me think that maybe I don't understand the chain. I tried to read up on chisel types, and of course I'll never be able to ID the profile. It has to be the chain that came with it.

DSCN1532.JPG

DSCN1529.JPG

That chain needs to be sharpened with an electric grinder. I have a Florabest one that was not expensive but I do not know if they are available in the States.

Just Googled and Harbor Freight have something similar:

https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-68221.html

Edit to add: I still mostly sharpen by hand with a file but use the electric sharpener when necessary e.g. if I hit a stone or a nail.
With care you can take just the minimum off which means your chains will last longer and not get too hot when grinding.

Last edited:
That chain has most likely found some metal in the cut and the operator kept pushing. Stop by your local dealer and ask if they can sharpen that loop and sell you a new one. I think the odd thing with echos was the link count, 3/8 .050 is very common here for stihl dealers, but that varies by region. Guys with grinders will tell you that bringing that chain back to life will take time(given the amount of material that needs removed) and alot of dealers would burn the cutters grinding too quickly.

I always try to return borrowed equpment in better shape than i received it in. Whether i just give it a bath or do routine maintenance. Your friend would jump on the chance to loan you his stuff if you bring it back sharp with an extra loop.

Well, went to a dealer and the lady behind the counter hooked me up with a new chain, and then pointed out some more things about the old chain I didn't know to notice. Her ultimate conclusion was that by the time enough tooth came off to recreate the straight line that the chain would be overheated. But really, the chain was shot.

So we did everybody a favor and fed the recycle bin!!

I bought the Stihl file with guide. Now I'm going to put it all back together and see what this bad boy can do. I'll keep an eye out for the first stretching that happens with a new chain. I'm still going to come out ahead with the convenience of borrowing over renting.

Well, went to a dealer and the lady behind the counter hooked me up with a new chain, and then pointed out some more things about the old chain I didn't know to notice. Her ultimate conclusion was that by the time enough tooth came off to recreate the straight line that the chain would be overheated. But really, the chain was shot.

So we did everybody a favor and fed the recycle bin!!

I bought the Stihl file with guide. Now I'm going to put it all back together and see what this bad boy can do. I'll keep an eye out for the first stretching that happens with a new chain. I'm still going to come out ahead with the convenience of borrowing over renting.

That new chain will stretch like a banshee, keep checking the tension while using it, but back it off when you are done for the day. A chain that is tight when hot, can draw up as it cools and damage the crank bearings with the tension created.

FWIW, my Stihl chains don't seem to strech as much as Oregon/Husq.

IMHO, Stihl chains are spendy, but I believe they are made from a much higher quality steel, that holds an edge better.

Good news - my pockets are all full of sawdust! Unfortunately, this monster tree is punkier that I thought. So even though it was 47" across where it was felled, the saw was REALLY going through it. I have more to do, but I'm not going to find a totally solid round. Drat.

It was a good challenge to make cuts from the both sides line up, and I figured out where my tendencies were to drift off the line and that was just one or two inches at the bottom. The funniest thing that happened was how surprised I was each time I pulled the saw out of a cut! Had to stand up and take a step back! ;lol

Well, this was an Oregon chain. It took a tighten after the first acceleration, and again after the first cut, and it will take another tighten tonight after 7 rounds, and that ought to be good.

Overall, it's a nice saw. Starts on the first pull when warm. Didn't seem "heavy". I just wish I could have really run through some solid stuff with that new chain.

Good news - my pockets are all full of sawdust! Unfortunately, this monster tree is punkier that I thought. So even though it was 47" across where it was felled, the saw was REALLY going through it. I have more to do, but I'm not going to find a totally solid round. Drat.

It was a good challenge to make cuts from the both sides line up, and I figured out where my tendencies were to drift off the line and that was just one or two inches at the bottom. The funniest thing that happened was how surprised I was each time I pulled the saw out of a cut! Had to stand up and take a step back! ;lol

Well, this was an Oregon chain. It took a tighten after the first acceleration, and again after the first cut, and it will take another tighten tonight after 7 rounds, and that ought to be good.

Overall, it's a nice saw. Starts on the first pull when warm. Didn't seem "heavy". I just wish I could have really run through some solid stuff with that new chain.

What type of tree are we talking about>

IMHO, Stihl chains are spendy, but I believe they are made from a much higher quality steel, that holds an edge better.

I currently use Stihl, Oregon, and WoodlandPro chains, but prefer stihl chains if I can get them in the "flavor" and price I like. Hardness of Stihl cutters is a result of thicker hard chrome plating.

I currently use Stihl, Oregon, and WoodlandPro chains, but prefer stihl chains if I can get them in the "flavor" and price I like. Hardness of Stihl cutters is a result of thicker hard chrome plating.

Since my daughter works at a Stihl dealer I get my chains and parts at cost +10%, makes it an easy choice. :)

What type of tree are we talking about>

Bur Oak. I came to know it at the end of its life, and it dropped its last leaf several years ago.

Check me if I'm wrong on this, but I had the most ironic thought...

I don't think I'd loan MY saw to my friend!!!! Isn't that straight-up evil?

;lol

If I did loan one, I'd put a FUBAR chain on it so I could get a new chain out of the deal. ::-)

Wait a minute, I think I just got PLAYED!! <> _g ;lol

I have a poulan wildthing just for loaning. It hasnt ran in years, people quit asking;). I helped dad cut a big oak saturday and still cringed letting him use my saw under supervision.