Bosca Spirit 500 install w/ pics (first post too !)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper820

Nov 22, 2011
Northern California
First off, I just want to say thanks to all the members of this forum. This has truly been a gold mine of information for me as I researched everything about pellet stoves. I have been lurking for quite sometime and finally have something worth posting.

My dad has been burning pellets for many years and I finally took the plunge and couldn't be happier with my decision. I love having a warm house and I love the thought of not giving those thieving B@$#!rds at the propane company any more money (my propane bills in the winter were about 500 bucks a month - and that was keeping my house at 60).

A little about my house (for the purpose of others looking at this and deciding if the stove I have would work in their house). It's a 2000 sq ft. single level home on a concrete slab with stucco siding. I live in Northern California in the Sierra Nevada foothills at about 3100 ft., so we get snow and freezing temperatures.

My dad and I did the install with the exception of the concrete hearth. I paid a guy to do that, but I did the acid stain. Oh, and I paid a guy to shoot the texture on the sheet rock I hung too.

I bought the stove on ebay and was leery. However, I am glad I gambled, because I won ! The stove works great, looks good and came at a price I could afford.

All in all I think I paid about $ 2100 from start to finish. That includes the stove, stove pipe, texture guy and concrete guy.

The install went pretty smooth. The corner where I put the stove was built out and had a tv nook above a worthless zero clearance propane stove. I ripped out the whole thing. My dad and I moved the existing gas line and ran some romex for some new wall sconces. I sheet rocked and then had a concrete guy come and poor the hearth. After I acid stained the hearth I sealed it and then had a guy tape and texture the sheet rock. We also put in some extra outlets, which included one that hooks directly up to my generator, so I can power the stove when the power goes out.

Anyways, here's the pics........... (hopefully I attached them correctly)

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 770
  • stove 5.jpg
    stove 5.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 755
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 806
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 757
  • stove 4.jpg
    stove 4.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 932
Nice, I like the concrete hearth!

welcome to the forum.

Looks great. Congrats on your new stove.

Welcome to the Forums.

Thats Beautiful. Keep it clean and maintained and it will give you many years of enjoyment.

Love the concrete hearth.

What type of stove does your Father have?

Beautiful job. Enjoy it!!

Lovely install

welcome to the forum.

Enjoy

snowy

That looks awesome... puppy dog likes it too!

Welcome!

Thats the new style bosca stove. I think they have a bigger hopper also a new front design. The only negative i have on mine is that the hopper only holds about 3/4 of a bag.Thats a nice looking setup.Are you running with a oak?

Congrats on the new stove, and thanks for the pics....looks great.

Enjoy the heat!!

That's an awesome looking install. Congratulations on the stove and everything else, it's beautiful.

Thanks everyone for taking a look !

@ Karl - Yeah, the Bosca I have was made in July of 2009. It holds right around a bag and a half; so about 60 pounds, which is close to the 66 pounds that Bosca claims. Right now I am running Golden Fire pellets, which are Douglas Fir and I like them a lot. I also have a ton of Mallard Creek, which are also Douglas Fir. They seem to burn just as hot as the Golden Fires and are a little cheaper.

@ Dexter - My dad has a Thelin Parlour style stove and he has it hooked up to a battery back up. He has had it for at least 8 years and hasn't had any problems with it. The fact that he keeps it real clean probably helps too.

One thing I didn't put in my original post was the venting. I used Simpson Duravent 4". I went out through the wall horizontally to a clean-out T, then up about seven feet and terminated it with an elbow and a horizontal end cap.

Very Impressed. One of neatest installs I've seen. That is a fantastic pad for the stove. Never even considered a concrete pad with an acid wash. Real smart of you to get rid of the propane. $500 a month for 60F is insane! Welcome to the forum. I also like the little dog. My daughter in law has one like that. Blind as a bat, but very good with the little kids.

@save$ - Thanks a lot ! Yeah, the hearth worked out good. It cost me about 350 bucks to have a guy form, poor and finish it, which included labor and materials. The acid I got is about 40 bucks a gallon. As far as the dog goes.......well I wish he was blind sometimes. He chews up everything and has gas so bad he can clear out a room. It's so offensive that it's little impressive.

Looks very cozy. I like the lights above the stove. Sets it off nicely!

Enjoy the heat, Sure looks like the pooch is! ;-)

Very nice install! Love the stove and that hearth pad is awesome! I've never seen anything like that. Very nice!

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.