Bottom Up Cleaning Of A Napoleon 1400 Wood Stove's Chimney Possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePine

Feeling the Heat
Sep 18, 2010
Anyone know if it is possible to clean the stove pipe and chimney from the bottom up when the stove is a Napoleon 1400L? It's a straight shot up, about 15 feet to the cap.

I wasn't present when the stove was installed, so I didn't get to see how it was put together. I do have the manual that came with the stove, but it doesn't give a definitive answer on cleaning. Is it practical to disassemble the stove to the point that something like a Soot Eater can be used?

My metal roof is a bit steep and definitely slippery. I'd rather not clean it from the top down, if there is a way around it.

Thanks to whoever can help?

Just curious what you were planning on using to clean it (what type of brush, flex rod etc.). I have to admit I am not familiar with your stove, but looking at the diagram it seems as though the pipe is accessible through the stove.

I have a napoleon 1402. I believe it's similar but you'd need to verify by looking at the manual and playing around with it yourself. On mine, if you remove the top baffles by tilting them up and moving them around you can get them out of there. Then all that's remaining in the metal brace running north/south that contain the secondary burn tubes. If looks like you could get a brush in there around the brace, but if not the brace looks easily removable.

I don't have this stove, but think it might just need a very careful removal of the baffles. Tilt up one side and drop down. But be cautious, they are fragile.

Remkel said:
Just curious what you were planning on using to clean it (what type of brush, flex rod etc.). I have to admit I am not familiar with your stove, but looking at the diagram it seems as though the pipe is accessible through the stove.

I'm thinking of getting something like a Soot Eater.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.