Bought a Drolet. Need advice on placement and chimney help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimripper

Oct 10, 2010
MN
I bought a Drolet Myraid and need some help. Here is a "rough" layout of my house. It is an old farmhouse with 2 additions. The room I want to put the stove in is the living room, which has a cement floor. I'm not sure which corner of the room to put it in? I was thinking the lower right hand corner? I also i'm wondering what brand of chimney pipe and where to buy it? Thanks for the help.

sdhouse.jpg

Just by looking at the drawing, the kitchen looks like the best place. But if there if there is no room for the stove there, the living room is the 2nd choice. Where it is in the room is not hugely important. The room should be well heated by the stove. The greater challenge will be getting the heat to the other rooms. The bathroom will get the short end of the stick here. How large is the opening between the LR and the kitchen? If it is nice and wide, a regular 10-12" table fan, placed on the floor on the kitchen side of the opening, running on low and pointed towards the LR will do a lot to improve heat circulation between the rooms. The object is to blow the cooler air, low towards the heat.

As for the flue, Simpson and Selkirk are two large brands that make good pipe. Plan on using all the same brand pipe from stove to the cap. If possible, run the pipe in the interior of the house, straight up. You can get pipe locally at a big box store like Lowes or Home Depot or for a sometimes more complete parts selection you can order online.

The stove pipe makers have some excellent installation manuals on their respective websites. I would recommend downloading one for the brand you choose. This article may also prove helpful, but it will depend on the ceiling in the LR. A cathedral ceiling uses a different support system than a 2 story installation.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/htchimneyup_twostory

Here are some good suppliers:
http://www.northlineexpress.com/items.asp?cc=chimney-pipe&_s_icmp=chmnypipe
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=49

thanks for the help. I would like to put it in the kitchen but its just not possible. I forgot to mention that there is a window through the living room to the kitchen. So you want a fan pushing cold air towards the stove? I thought you would put the fan the other way.

I finally got all my chimney pieces and got the stove moved in the house. Here is a pic of the living room and the corner im probably going to put it. (im busy remolding)

2010-10-27_19-42-09_162.jpg

2010-10-27_19-42-17_654.jpg

That should work ok. Yes, blow the cold air, low to the floor, toward the heat. The warm air will flow in through that pass thru to replace the cold air.

Kitchen would have been best for moving the heat . . . but it would also make sense to put the stove where you will spend most of your waking time which is probably the living room . . . and due to space requirements it's going there anyways. As mentioned, any corner should work. Keeping the storage room and bathroom warm may be a challenge.

Fan . . . by blowing the fan towards the woodstove you are pushing the cool air towards the stove . . . it hits the stove . . . heats up . . . hot air rises . . . hot air moves out along the ceiling level to replace the cool air which has been displaced by the fan . . . you are basically establishing an artificial air current that moves in a circular fashion with cool air being pushed towards the stove and hot air moving away from the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.