Bought a Task Force electric log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
Happened to be in Lowe's yesterday and I noticed they have a Task Force 5 ton electric splitter on display for $300.00. I've been doing some research on them and have been contemplating buying one, so today I went back and sealed the deal. ( I know... not as good a deal as the $429 splitter at Home Depot)

Now I know this is not going to be as powerful as a gas unit, but I really wasn't looking to spend a thousand bucks either. In fact, I actually like splitting by hand, but what I've noticed is that some of my pieces are a pain to split even with a sledge and a wedge. I tried it out for an hour or so today and it handled most everything with ease, except for a few of the real knotty pieces.

I figure I'll still split most of my stuff by hand, but for the gnarly stuff I'll use the electric splitter. I firmly believe in the old saying, "Work smarter not harder."

I think you'll be happy. My little electric doesn't owe me a dime. In fact, it deserves a little TLC with the guards and supports unbent and tightened up. Pancake the gnarly ones. No use killing yourself over them.

Matt

I really like my electric--it's far more portable and has done all I asked of it. I'll be keeping it, because I know it'll come in handy some time I don't want to load the 'bigun.'

S

Jaugust124 said:
I figure I'll still split most of my stuff by hand...
PFFFT! I thought that once. When I'm out with the splitter everthing goes through it, right down to 2" stuff. The only time the axe sees duty is if I need to resplit a couple of pieces when taking in an armload to burn.

I sometimes feel guilty splitting Ash with 20 tons but then I just lay down until the feeling goes away.

LLigetfa said:
Jaugust124 said:
I figure I'll still split most of my stuff by hand...
PFFFT! I thought that once. When I'm out with the splitter everthing goes through it, right down to 2" stuff. The only time the axe sees duty is if I need to resplit a couple of pieces when taking in an armload to burn.

I sometimes feel guilty splitting Ash with 20 tons but then I just lay down until the feeling goes away.

Amen brother. Amen.

Like my neighbor says "If ya got 'chinery, use 'chinery.

you'll be pleased with the Task Force splitter. I split about 1.5-2 cords with mine and it went through most of what I threw at it. I just sold mine though, I was lucky enough to get one of the $429 specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.