Bought my first chainsaw but now need advice on splitting maul/axe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griz7674

Jan 28, 2009
Illinois
I picked up a new Stihl yesterday for my general sawing needs. But, I want to have a nice axe/maul combo to split the wood. I have never made such a purchase so I did not know if all things were basically equal in this realm or if there is something specific I need to be looking for. I am 6'6" and 280 if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Bob

I have razor back 6lb maul whith a 36" handle, But I will be purchasing a fiskars super splitting axe as well

I bought an eight pound splitting maul from home depot with a yellow plastic handle. Works great. Not as fancy as others but the wood doesn't know!

gzecc said:
I bought an eight pound splitting maul from home depot with a yellow plastic handle. Works great. Not as fancy as others but the wood doesn't know!

I've got one of those too, and a 6lb maul. You're right that the wood can't tell the difference, but I sure can.

Hey Griz if you dont mind me askng wha size of saw did you buy? I am looking at the wood boss 270 with either a 16 or 18" blade but it goes for around 410 plus tax around here.

gzecc said:

+1 on that.. got one from Lowe's with the red handle.. works great...

If you got you saw at a dealer I'd solicit their advice on a mall too...they get a lot of feed back.

The only warning I have is don't buy anything made with Chinese steel... they're good at making tools that look like the tools we're all familiar with .... they just haven't locked down the metallurgy part of it yet.

Bigg_Redd said:
gzecc said:

I've got one of those too, and a 6lb maul. You're right that the wood can't tell the difference, but I sure can.

I have had a 2 of these (yellow Handle Home Cheapo)... The darn heads keep sliding off. What is the point of selling an unbreakable handle if that is all you have is a handle with no head at the end of the day?
FYI: they do not warranty the head coming off... only a broken handle.

I did manage to shatter a Fiskars handle on a real cold day. They sent me out a new one no questions asked. I had it a couple weeks later.

Young Buck said:
Hey Griz if you dont mind me askng wha size of saw did you buy? I am looking at the wood boss 270 with either a 16 or 18" blade but it goes for around 410 plus tax around here.

I picked up a Stihl 290 with a 20 inch bar. I have access to a limb cutter chainsaw so I needed something that could take down some larger tree's.

Bob

For splitting duty, plan on owning a handful of tools. A 6lb maul, a "megamaul", a sledge and a couple wedges, and possibly a smaller hatchet for kindling duty. And since you're a tall guy, make sure you've got a splitting block that gets the wood up to an appropriate height such that the maul impacts the wood on a downward stroke, not a down-and-back angle that, if it misses/glances/blows thru the wood will put the maul straight into your foot or shin.

The first two implements are, to my mind, essential. The remainder are nice and helpful, and you'll likely buy them eventually, but you could survive without them for a time.

1. The 6lb maul is a good all-around tool. The 36" handle allows for some speed. Pictured in the attached image.

2. A 15lb mega maul, such as the one sold by Iron & Oak (the splitter people) uses mass to make up for speed, though it is deadly when some speed is added. When splitting by hand, this is my primary tool. It is also nice for kindling or for breaking larger split logs into smaller ones before they go in the stove or fireplace - I can drop it on a small split log in the garage, maybe 18" of swing, and pop kindling apart on the floor. Also pictured in the attached image.

3. An 8lb+ sledge is useful for pounding wedges or pounding on the backside of your 6lb maul when it gets stuck.

4. A couple different metal wedges can be helpful for nasty, knotty stuff.

5. A small hatchet for kindling is nice, too. Fiskars makes a fine one, a mini-splitter of sorts, which is slightly larger than their hatchet and has a much better profile to the head for splitting versus cutting. I really like this tool for kindling and for camping.

Attachments

• After_Work_Firewood.jpg
    After_Work_Firewood.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 254
computeruser said:
For splitting duty, plan on owning a handful of tools. A 6lb maul, a "megamaul", a sledge and a couple wedges, and possibly a smaller hatchet for kindling duty. And since you're a tall guy, make sure you've got a splitting block that gets the wood up to an appropriate height such that the maul impacts the wood on a downward stroke, not a down-and-back angle that, if it misses/glances/blows thru the wood will put the maul straight into your foot or shin.

The first two implements are, to my mind, essential. The remainder are nice and helpful, and you'll likely buy them eventually, but you could survive without them for a time.

1. The 6lb maul is a good all-around tool. The 36" handle allows for some speed. Pictured in the attached image.

2. A 15lb mega maul, such as the one sold by Iron & Oak (the splitter people) uses mass to make up for speed, though it is deadly when some speed is added. When splitting by hand, this is my primary tool. It is also nice for kindling or for breaking larger split logs into smaller ones before they go in the stove or fireplace - I can drop it on a small split log in the garage, maybe 18" of swing, and pop kindling apart on the floor. Also pictured in the attached image.

3. An 8lb+ sledge is useful for pounding wedges or pounding on the backside of your 6lb maul when it gets stuck.

4. A couple different metal wedges can be helpful for nasty, knotty stuff.

5. A small hatchet for kindling is nice, too. Fiskars makes a fine one, a mini-splitter of sorts, which is slightly larger than their hatchet and has a much better profile to the head for splitting versus cutting. I really like this tool for kindling and for camping.

Nice work there. Did you add the "extra shelf" to your hand truck or did it come that way? I can see where that would be more useful than a "normal" hand truck for moving large rounds.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.