Bought some wood indoors today.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
Last year, I was struggling to get wood indoors during the snow and ice, and looked at some of the pictures of your indoor wood stores.

Having been watching the snow from New England down towards PA, I decided to take the bull by the horns and get stuck in today.

I have utilized a builders dumpy bag to keep the wood tidy, and hope this will provide an indoor reserve.

The conservatory now smells quite nice, it's cherry and some oak :)

Bulkbagofwoodinconservatory.jpg

That is pretty slick idea. Fork truck and its game over.

smokinjay said:

he just has to knock that wall down, or maybe just drop it through the window.

Slick indeed.

I took some Stack-it Brackets and some 2x4's and made a miniature wood rack last year. This year I made it official and screwed it together, and rattle-canned the wood a mottled brown. Blends nicely with the Mexican-looking tile on the sunroom floor. It's such a luxury to have dry, room-temp wood at hand when it's fire time.

Good idea
Nice looking wood too.
Are you burning it now?

Nice and tidy WoodChip - bet is smells great! Cheers!

bogydave said:
Are you burning it now?

My plan is to leave it there for the colder weather, and continue to bring punky chunks in daily as we burn while it's mild, dry, and easy to move wood around.

Having freed up space in a greenhouse, our chickens can now move in for the winter, they don't like it cold and windy and they love it in the greenhouse ;-)

That's a good idea. Do those bags breath well? Would you be able to use them while your seasoning the wood as well? That seems like a great way to keep the wood tidy and organized if it would still season well.

I reckon the bags do breathe, but I doubt if you would get much airflow through the mesh.

The pictures you see on here with wood stacked neatly out in windrows seems to be the ideal way of seasoning wood.

Funny how everybody else's wood looks neater than mine, I just looked back at my picture again and I can't believe it's my own wood, it actually does look quite tidy ;-)

That's a neat way to store your wood.. I have a 40" wood hoop and keep a vinyl runner under it to help contain the mess..

Ray

Hope that works good for you woodchip. Keep those hens happy too.

Hass said:
smokinjay said:

he just has to knock that wall down, or maybe just drop it through the window.

For me it would be game over. You do see a lot of portable wood racks out there. Seems this one would be the simplest.

Nice!

I need some of those "dumpy bags" for raking my leaves into... hmmm. Have to find some of those somewhere over this-a-way.

Good thinking Woodchip. Enjoy the heating season. Show us a picture of a nice fire you have going sometime. Never gets old. Later.

quercus_kelloggii said:
Nice!

I need some of those "dumpy bags" for raking my leaves into... hmmm. Have to find some of those somewhere over this-a-way.

I get some from my sister who manages a greenhouse operation selling plant to Lowes and the like. They originally contained potting soils in bulk.
They are a cube with about 4 foot sides. They originally held potting soil but they are great for leaves. They throw them out. I've also seen them used to hold rope at a outdoor spot leased to a couple of guys who stack lobster pots and gear.

If someone wanted to move wood around, and just had a pallet truck, dumpy bags fit nicely on pallets.

That also keeps the wood off the ground if stored longer term in a shed or garage in case of flooding.

It also makes it easier for cats get rats out too ;-)

Those are called "feed bags" or "bulk bags" here in teh states. We used to use them to put horse and cow poop in. They are pretty cheap from what I remember.

Good luck moving one loaded with a pallet jack on anything but flat pavement or concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.