Bought the stove now I Ned to get some pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsk

Sep 12, 2011
Eastern ct
Made the purchase of an enviro m55 today. It's being installed on October 5th. If I wait to buy pellets are prices and availability going to be issues?

Can some enviro owners chime in... How does the stove seem to burn soft wood pellets? Do soft woods seem to burn cleaner? Is there a brand I should start with?

As far as dusting inside the house, is there a pellet that seems to be cleaner in that respect?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Millsk said:
Made the purchase of an enviro m55 today. It's being installed on October 5th. If I wait to buy pellets are prices and availability going to be issues?

Can some enviro owners chime in... How does the stove seem to burn soft wood pellets? Do soft woods seem to burn cleaner? Is there a brand I should start with?

As far as dusting inside the house, is there a pellet that seems to be cleaner in that respect?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm in the same boat as you. Just purchased an M55 and it is being installed on Sunday.

The best advice I can give you is to call your local box stores and make a list of everything they have in stock and the prices. Add that list to your original post and you'll get plenty of opinions. It's almost pointless to ask if you don't know what is available to you because the inventory is different everywhere.

I think my first purchase is going to be a ton of Old Dominions from HD for $197. They got a great review on woodpelletreviews.com.

I have the M55 steel not the cast. I haven't found any pellet that it doesn't burn well. I've burnt HardWood Heat
AWF ( American Wood Fibers) and the not so good Andies and Starlite burnt well just no heat. Where I'm at the pellet
supply is pretty limited to what Agway or Tractor Supply has as the box stores don't seem to carry pellets here. Dust
wasn't a problem with any of the brands I've used so far.

jhass said:
I have the M55 steel not the cast. I haven't found any pellet that it doesn't burn well. I've burnt HardWood Heat
AWF ( American Wood Fibers) and the not so good Andies and Starlite burnt well just no heat. Where I'm at the pellet
supply is pretty limited to what Agway or Tractor Supply has as the box stores don't seem to carry pellets here. Dust
wasn't a problem with any of the brands I've used so far.

Please let us know what you've used so far and what you prefer?

I've also been told the M55 will burn anything.

I originally purchased the stove to burn corn. It is probably the best thing that I have burnt in it, I was burning
a 90/10 split with corn and pellets, the pellets were just to help stop clinkers and make the burn pot easier to clean.
I know that the BTU rating of corn is lower than pellets but the M55 seemed to put out more heat with the corn than
pellets. I only slowed down with the corn when I started getting $10 for a 50 lb. bag and figured that equated to 2 bags of pellets
so I switched for the most part to pellets. The best that I have burned so far is probably a tie between HardWood Heat and a local
pellet made by a company called Notie Corp. which I have only burned 10 bags of(traded for some corn) both had pretty much the
same heat and ash. Check some of J-takemans post on the pellets that he has tried he runs an Omega wich is a close relative of the M55.

To be honest I really like the idea of burning corn, or cherry pits or walnut shells. Something purerly left over from LOCAL industry. Alas I live in New England and this isn't really an option.

My stove is coming in October, and I'm not sure I'm going to have much time to run test burns on different pellets.

So I believe I am going to attempt to burn stovechow during the fall and spring and some high end soft wood pellets during the winter. Maybe Vermont wood pellets if i can find some.

Any of you M55 burners use stovechow? I've read on here it my not work well with drop down feeders. Opinions?

If I wait to buy pellets are prices and availability going to be issues?

Availability shouldn't be an issue, But as the heating season approaches the prices usually rise. Exception is the box stores and their pellet war.

How does the stove seem to burn soft wood pellets?

Once properly tweaked to the particular brand. Mine eats them nicely!

Do softwoods seem to burn cleaner?

In general "yes". With all brands comes variation in size, density and of coarse ash content.

Is there a brand I should start with?

See whats available locally. If your self hauling, mileage must be accounted for.

Chipped(pellets made from chipped logs) pellets seem to be the least dusty IMHO, But also seem to have a harder time sliding in the hopper If dust is a major concern look into a pellet vacuum setup. See member imacman for details! Cheap to assemble too!

Status
Not open for further replies.