Box Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Looking for a box fan to put behind the Intrepid (it is half inside a fireplace). I want to put the fan in the back that is large enough to push all the air out on top and on the sides of the stove. I had a smaller fan (8" in diameter) that improved the heating capabilities of the Intrepid (see previous threads by me in my ongoing fight to improve it's heating capabilities) and I would like to put in a larger fan to move more air.

Right now to get any sort of fan that isn't attached to a heater I need to buy it online as all the stores stop stocking anything that is related to 'cooling' during the winter months. I found a few on WalMart's site, but I have a concern that the low setting will be too fast. If anyone has any experiences with a box fan model that they liked, pass it along!

Side note (as I know this will mentioned):
I have tried pointing fans at the stove to move the air and I get far less improvement from this. The best success has come from a fan being placed behind the stove.

Any one?

"I know you're out there, I can hear you breathing."

How much clearance do you have? There's obviously the heat/fire issue, but more than that, it sounds like you're going to have the fan fighting itself if it's tucked behind the stove blowing out. Air has to make it back to the fan somehow, and if you don't direct that, it will just pick whatever path is the best at that moment, causing more noise and less laminar flow.

Browning, I do not know how much room you have behind the stove, but I have started using the excellent Vornado 8" room fan to move warm air around the house. This is in addition to the two ceiling fans spinning at medium speed 24/7.

The Vornado is placed on top of a dry bar about 4' off the floor and about 15' in front of the stove. The fan is running on low speed and is positioned so it "sucks" warm air from the area of the stove and pushes it down a hallway toward the bedrooms about 30' away. This configuration is not perfect but is quite effective at moving some of the stove heat to the bedrooms. It is best of the many fans/speeds/directions I have tried. This setup might defy conventional wisdom about moving warm stove around the house but it works best in my floor plan.

Good luck,

John_M

Status
Not open for further replies.