Boy, the people that said lots of free fire wood, 2 weeks ago, were not kidding.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingolf

Oct 30, 2008
Bloomfield, CT
I was on this post 2 weeks ago before the pre-Holloween storm and a few people posted a lot of free fire wood this weekend. I will be getting as much oak and maple as my back can handle. A co-worker lost some limbs and had a company in the neighborhood cutting down trees, removed about 4 mature oaks and a maple I'm trying to get as many small dump truck loads or as many pick up loads as I can. Plus I have some good size limbs around my yard to cut up, so I will finally have 2 to 3 years worth of wood stored, again as my back will dictate. I have been spending alot of time in my hot tub. Hope all in the east and north east survived Ok this last week.

Brian

sounds like a little good came out of the storm as far as you are concerned.....the sooner you get that stuff split and stacked, the better.....

That's what I'm really looking forward to do.

Brian

We've had storms. I've never seen a storm produce this much wood. The hurricane and TS brought down alot of Locust. The snow storm for me, mostly brought down Oak. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I could scrounge as much wood as I have and as early as I have. I usually don't get done until March.

A normal weekend scrounging yielded me a pick up a day. I'm getting 4 + pick ups a day and it's all close too!

I am done with this years and next is soon to be done. The year after is rolling in this week. I am gonna keep grabbing it while its available.

Yeah, I agree. Whoever said there'd be plenty of wood was spot on.

You guys are doing good.
Getting ahead feels real good, eh?
If yo don't take it, where would it end up? Land fill?

bogydave said:
You guys are doing good.
Getting ahead feels real good, eh?
If yo don't take it, where would it end up? Land fill?

I know what you mean, likely the landfill. I've got a tree guy who let's me know when he's taking down a tree so I can grab the wood. Before me, he was paying someone to haul the wood to the landfill.

smokingolf said:
I was on this post 2 weeks ago before the pre-Holloween storm and a few people posted a lot of free fire wood this weekend. I will be getting as much oak and maple as my back can handle. A co-worker lost some limbs and had a company in the neighborhood cutting down trees, removed about 4 mature oaks and a maple I'm trying to get as many small dump truck loads or as many pick up loads as I can. Plus I have some good size limbs around my yard to cut up, so I will finally have 2 to 3 years worth of wood stored, again as my back will dictate. I have been spending alot of time in my hot tub. Hope all in the east and north east survived Ok this last week.

Brian

I've got my wood for this year. I've got about half my wood for 2012 and about 1/4 of my wood for 2013. I just got a call today from a fella who is giving me an entire maple tree that was dropped in his yard by a tree service for a super great price. The only catch is the home owner must get rid of the wood. So, the home owner is cutting all the wood to 16" lengths. I'm picking up. A pretty good deal for both of us. He saves $800. I get plenty of FREE wood for burning next year.

Theres so much wood and so little time, Ive had to pass up wood because I dont have time to cut and haul it, hate to do it but theres only so much time to get things done and winters approaching.

Get it while the getting is good for sure. As was said earlier, at least something good came out of that storm.

weatherguy said:
Theres so much wood and so little time, Ive had to pass up wood because I dont have time to cut and haul it, hate to do it but theres only so much time to get things done and winters approaching.

So right, definitely more wood out there if one looks. My only problem is when I say no to wood, I feel like I've sinned. LOL. Suppose I could ask a priest for absolution. Could vow to get double wood next year. LOL

There is wood all over near me too. I have very little time and just about no room on my cozy 1/4 acre right now. Whatever I can find room for will be '14-'15 wood. Wow! did I just type 2015?! I have nearly 13 cords at the house now and haven't started serious burning yet. I hope it is still there when I have time and space.

Flatbedford said:
There is wood all over near me too. I have very little time and just about no room on my cozy 1/4 acre right now. Whatever I can find room for will be '14-'15 wood. Wow! did I just type 2015?! I have nearly 13 cords at the house now and haven't started serious burning yet. I hope it is still there when I have time and space.

Steve, now that's some cordage. 13 full cords!

weatherguy said:
i here ya. i have people calling me about trees and wood down. but i cant. between all my neighbors and getting everything cleaned up before snow fly's again. plus all the work i have all winter splitting and stacking what i have now. but i look forward to the cold and after a couple months here hopefully i can get back out and cut up even more. i already have wood on my property that won't get burned for another 4 years. lol so its def a good feeling.

So much wood, so little time...

My wife has asked if I need to go out in the weekend AMs to keep grabbing wood. Ummmm ya?! LOL... In the last two weeks I've grabbed so much wood its crazy. With the fornado, storms and now this latest with he snow, I'm am abolutely a wood snob... And to think I was getting nervous about scroungimg a year ago... So much wood everywhere... Wish I milled tho! Beautiful shagbark today that was about 20 diameter and no limbs for about 15 feet!

I hear ya. I've become a wood snob too. My wife will say.... you've already got enough. We don't need anymore..... just get the good stuff!

I'm getting quality and quantity! I still will need some junk wood to mix in or shoulder with.... thats my argument. So I still grab all I can get.

Flatbedford said:

Similar situation here, have about a 1/4 acre, having problems finding room to stack unsplit stuff, not to mention finding space to stack it once it's split. Have only about half as much as you onhand... but this is an unusual year here in the northeast for scrounging, might as well get it while it's available. No telling what next year will be like!

Gotta may hay while the sun is shining . . . it's often feast or famine . . . and there are probably a few other well known ditties that basically say the same thing as Shawneyboy . . . get it while the getting is good . . . in another year or two folks may well be looking high and low for firewood without as much success.

Sure making hay now... with all the storm damage there is sure a significant amount of good scrounging to be had. Since Saturday, I have brought home 8 pickup loads that varied from 6 foot length down to already cut to length rounds - which was the majority of what I have been taking. In one town, the town highway dept will be coming around a wood chipping the storm damage that people leave out by the street. Folks are taking advantage and moving lots of wood out to the road for pick up. I'm like a kid in a candy store!

Yesterday, I have a friend who came to me for advice on how to get wood (he has a wood stove but no wood.... we talked seasoning etc). I said "ya got time now? Follow me..." We both went home with fully loaded trucks and I think he has the bug now too. Competition? hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.