BREAK IN FIRE FOR JOTUL F400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BXTF

Aug 30, 2008
Rock Tavern, New York
The stove is in and the building inspector gave the thumbs up. :) First I want to thank everyone on this site, from reading all the post and asking questions I learned so much. You folks put me ahead of the game, even before I started playing.

Now that my Jotul F400 is in the real fun (as I have read) is about to begin! BURNING :cheese: Now for my question, can you folks give me the do's and don'ts of break in burns. I get one shot at this and I don't want to get it wrong.
And again, Thank You.

Mine was burn with kindling only for the first one, second with a split or two and then run a good three or for logs for the third. It will smell a bit so make sure you are there to open a few windows. You may get a bit of smell on each progressively hotter burns, but not as bad. Make sure you only use a very small amount of logs on the first one and monitor the temps. You will get a raise after you put each split in, so watch the temp gauge.
Fun times.
Chad

What does your book say about it? Rick

Three burns, 200, 300 then 400 degrees. My concern is over firing. I guess I want to know is, whats the best wood to use and the size of the fire.

The best wood to use is seasoned firewood. How much you load is a function of how long you want it to burn...how hot it burns after it's up and going is a function of how you operate the primary air control. Don't worry. Just build a moderately sized little stack of wood in there and light it off and see what magic happens...it's not going to suddenly jump up to 700 degrees. If it gets small, toss in some more fuel. Where are you measuring the temp? Make a fire and start learning your stove. Rick

Unless you load the stove up with dry 2x4s and leave the air open, it isn't likely to overfire. First fire will not be much more than a healthy stack of kindling. The second burn can be the same with a couple 2-3" splits on it. The third burn can add a few more 3" splits and will likely kick into secondary burn. Let them burn out and then you're good to go.

Enjoy the stove, she's a beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.