break in for 5700 steptop quad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
hi all,
just about to get this quad 5700 ready to go
been a long time on this project building the room etc
inspector said put it together and lite it
anyone know about a break in for this thing ?
didnt know that was necessary
did hear something about them stinking the first time or two
anxious
got to finish setting the tiles..........
rustynut

Today is the first day for firing up my englander 13. There was some smoke coming from
the stovetop for about an hour once it was good and hot. You'll probably have to open a few windows, not the most pleasant smelling smoke.

thanks for the comeback
thought i heard something about a small fire the first time
then a larger one
then
let her rip
didnt worry about that on the last stove i did
i'll take another look thru the book when i get that far
congrats on that nu one there hankjr

The 5700 will be our next stove please keep us informed of it's performance....thanks

I'd do a moderate fire of just a couple splits for the first burn or two to drive moisture out of the firebrick. Then let her rip, but be sure to open the windows. It's going to be smoky in there for the first few fires. A fan set up temporarily in a nearby window to act as an exhaust fan can help.

You want to do a moderate sized fire first to cure the paint some. If you get it too hot too fast on the first burn it can make the paint peel.

Buddy, you just bought a heck of a stove. My brother heats a 3500sf house with that thing.

I read here once, and wished I had done it: To put about 2 ft of stove pipe in that thing and fire it up outside if it's an option.

My first firing with my 4300 was pretty smokey. Then about 2 or 3 weeks later when I guess I picked some really dry woood out of the pile. I'm assuming I exceeded temps I'd previously reached & got 'er real hot again & got some more smoke. None since then though.

You'll know everything is okay if it smells not of wood, but of paint & oils, etc. (mostly curing paint) You know, kind of like a manufacturing process 'burn off'.

Enjoy that stove & pray you didn't buy one too large for your needs, 'cause that one 'll cook you out if you did!

Happy burning & be safe!

Just remember keep pets, kids, pregnant ladies, away from the curring smell. Don't even do it when they are home, take the day off and do it when you are by yourself It is just not bad, it is extremely bad for them to breath it in. We older folk (well I am getting there at 36) are fine as we have enough to worry about from the previous years of lead paint, sniffing glue, yada yada yada.......
I have a Quad 5100 insert, just about the same as the 5700 but an insert, sweet stove. I really like the front to back loading, you can load that bad boy up when he is ready and easily get those sought after over night burns. Plenty of red hot coals in the morning too, Damn Fine stove.

Have fun with it and enjoy the heat :)

lots of good info here
smaller fire to drive out the moisture and let her rip
curing the paint a bit instead of burning it off
hadnt thought of those
had a consolidated dutchwest convection - size large, in the last house and it was a bit lite
not much coals left in the morning
hoping this 5700 will heat this drafty place and have some coals left in the morning
figured bigger is better this time
we'll see
still a couple of weeks out
thanks for the tips
rustynut

Status
Not open for further replies.