Breaking Old Habits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilbegone

Out with the old in with the new.
After using the Tarm for about a month I think if I can break my old wood furnace habits a lot fewer trees will be harmed in the heating of my home.
Habit # 1 When we are home I find myself adding wood too often rather than relying on the storage as I should, the old temptation is still there to fuss with the stove. During the week on most days one burn after work has been sufficient with the length of the burn based on temperatures and forecasts for the following day.
Habit # 2 Wood splits too large. We split up 5 cords with 4 near the back door and one in the wings for this winter based on the size we used to use for the wood furnace. I find myself re-splitting allot of it in the cellar. In the process of splitting next years wood and my wife refers to the 4" splits as sticks. (About the size we used to use to get the old furnace fired up.)
Habit # 3 Mesing with the thermostat. I never would have believed that if you set up a program on the thermostat while heating with wood that if you want 62 degrees or 68 degrees or whatever that is what you get. Totally awesome.!!!
Happy gassifiying to all that are new to the process and thank you to all the pros with great info on this forum.

[maybe they could add Tarm to the spell check dictionary]

oilbegone said:
Out with the old in with the new.
After using the Tarm for about a month I think if I can break my old wood furnace habits a lot fewer trees will be harmed in the heating of my home.
Habit # 1 When we are home I find myself adding wood too often rather than relying on the storage as I should, the old temptation is still there to fuss with the stove. During the week on most days one burn after work has been sufficient with the length of the burn based on temperatures and forecasts for the following day.
Habit # 2 Wood splits too large. We split up 5 cords with 4 near the back door and one in the wings for this winter based on the size we used to use for the wood furnace. I find myself re-splitting allot of it in the cellar. In the process of splitting next years wood and my wife refers to the 4" splits as sticks. (About the size we used to use to get the old furnace fired up.)
Habit # 3 Mesing with the thermostat. I never would have believed that if you set up a program on the thermostat while heating with wood that if you want 62 degrees or 68 degrees or whatever that is what you get. Totally awesome.!!!
Happy gassifiying to all that are new to the process and thank you to all the pros with great info on this forum.

[maybe they could add Tarm to the spell check dictionary]

You are correct on every point. This would be allot easier I think if I had never burnt wood before I switched to a gasifier.

Old habits die hard. After years with a wood stove in the living room that did a pretty good job on the whole house I now have a Tarm with 500 gallons of storage. The other night I came home and my wife had a fire going in the old wood stove. I asked if she had just lit it for ambiance and she said "no it was freezing in here when we got home". I had turned down the thermostat the day before because she said it seemed too warm when I had it set to 70. I immediately thought that the storage must have lost it's stored heat but when I checked the tank was at 155 degrees. I then asked my wife if she had tried turning up the thermostat and she said she hadn't even thought of it because it had always been such a taboo!

I too find myself fussing with and checking on the furnace. I don't think I've ever spent so much time in my basement before. It still amazes me how well it work. Last week I was hoping to get the tank temp over 180 degrees now it's in the high 180's or low 190's with no problem. That is plenty of hot water to get me through the day so that I'm only firing once a day, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.