Breckwell Big E blowers wont shut off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Den-Den

Nov 8, 2008
WI
Well it's that time of the year , Fall and time to fire up the stoves. Here is my problem, My son in Law bought a used Big E, upon installing and using it ,the thing throws a lot of heat, to the point we needed to install a thermostat. We did this today and found that no mater what setting we are on the fans always run and it always feeds pellets.We never noticed it as an issue as they only had been using "Manual" and unplugging it when they didn't need heat. They would turn it "OFF" and the fans always ran from the day they got it. Me being a Quad fan never checked if this was normal or not. I was looking around and see it only has a Proof of fire and high heat limit switch, I unplugged the POF switch and plugged the unit back in and again the fans both turn on and it starts feeding pellets,even with the switch unhooked and the thermostat unhooked. I suspect from searching the forum it is the board. With all the GREAT help on my Quad board issue I was hoping for some incite on repairing this board for my daughter and Grand kids. I don't want to tell her she needs a new board if I can fix her's with parts from MOUSER like I fixed mine,
Thanks for any help in getting this fixed.

I had it disconnected and the fans still both ran.

I'll get her board and my glasses and dig deeper on the circuits. Has anybody dealt with these or do you just pay the piper and buy a board?

Morning j,
I see on another post you put up pictures of this board and label a few components. I tried to blow it up to read the triac numbers but they blur on me. Can you send me that picture so I don't have to travel 30+ miles and get the numbers from the triacs on her board? And/or could you shoot me the mouser numbers? I have their very big parts book here and I ordered triacs for my Quadra Fire from them too.If you want you can email me at [email protected]
Thanks a bunch!!!

First you need to check the board for damage. Some get chared and the contacts/traces will de-laminate from the board. There is also a chance for unseen damage to other circuits. If the board has black or brown discolorations? I'd opt for a new one. So a sure fix is a new board!

Triac number should be T835-600G, But I would still check the numbers on the board your repairing JIC.

Hey thanks.
I looked at it a bit yesterday when I was there and the board all looked good from my first look. I may have left out an important part that just came to me. When my son in law got the stove he did a major cleaning of it and noticed that both fan motors would barely turn, that was before he even hooked up the stove, so he cleaned and oiled them, then last week he had changed out a blower motor because it was getting real noisy and locked up on him,I'm thinking the prior owner ran it with the motor drawing a lot of amps and that was the end for the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.