Breckwell convection blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doocrew

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2008
Southern NH
My brother has a breakwell p24I insert. He shut the stove down tonight to give it a quick cleaning and when he restarted the stove, the convection fan never kicked on. He eventually shut the stove down manually because it was beginning to overheat. My advice was to remove the blowers and give them a good cleaning and lubrication first. Any other thoughts?

A good clean and lube should get it going again. But if not this OEM works good as a replacement.

Or try Dave Gualt at woodheatstoves or Eric at Kinsman stoves for the latest Breckwell that is a new design and is much quieter.

Doocrew said:
My brother has a breakwell p24I insert. He shut the stove down tonight to give it a quick cleaning and when he restarted the stove, the convection fan never kicked on. He eventually shut the stove down manually because it was beginning to overheat. My advice was to remove the blowers and give them a good cleaning and lubrication first. Any other thoughts?

I bet a changed out at least 6 or 7 of them in different Breckwells this year.

Doocrew said:
before buying a new one:
bench test the blower, if it works under direct 110, there are other issues with the stove( snap disc, speed control, wiring, control)

FOLLOW-UP The blower was junk. That particular blower has no ports to oil and is a sealed unit.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Doocrew said:
FOLLOW-UP The blower was junk. That particular blower has no ports to oil and is a sealed unit.

Not so fast, you could do a bearing replacement.

You and I think to much alike. I suggested that he do just that and use it for a spare.

Doocrew said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Doocrew said:

Not so fast, you could do a bearing replacement.

You and I think to much alike. I suggested that he do just that and use it for a spare.

mine had to be changed; it is junk

Bearings are the same size used in SKATEBOARDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.