Breckwell P23 Insert convection fan super loud during start up and cool down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric C

Dec 13, 2010
Mohegan Lake, NY
Hey all, newbie here. Have a question for anyone who may have experience with the Breckwell Traditioners P23I. Installed it 2 years ago and really love the stove but over time the convection blower fan has slowly gotten louder and louder during startup and cool down, to the point where its now driving me crazy. it doesn't seem to spin perfectly and has a rattle to it. Last year when it first started happening, it vibrated enough to cause a an annoying metal vibrating sound. I disconnected it and siliconed underneath all the connections which improved it tremendously. Now, the fan blade rod itself has gotten louder when it spins, to the point of annoyance. It appears that the flat part of the rod that the fan blade screws into with a set screw knocks on something with every rotation while spinning. I know I may have to purchase a new blower, but would like to hear from anyone who may have had this problem and has a solution that fixes the blower,( which seems possible.) What drives me crazy is I can't remove the fan blades from the rod to get in there. Its a torx set screw that is so tight that I can't remove it. Its too tight and too tough to get at, to get a little leverage. Hopefully one of you may have some suggestions or at least have had a similar experience you'd like to share.

Thanks,
Eric

Mohegan said:
Hey all, newbie here. Have a question for anyone who may have experience with the Breckwell Traditioners P23I. Installed it 2 years ago and really love the stove but over time the convection blower fan has slowly gotten louder and louder during startup and cool down, to the point where its now driving me crazy. it doesn't seem to spin perfectly and has a rattle to it. Last year when it first started happening, it vibrated enough to cause a an annoying metal vibrating sound. I disconnected it and siliconed underneath all the connections which improved it tremendously. Now, the fan blade rod itself has gotten louder when it spins, to the point of annoyance. It appears that the flat part of the rod that the fan blade screws into with a set screw knocks on something with every rotation while spinning. I know I may have to purchase a new blower, but would like to hear from anyone who may have had this problem and has a solution that fixes the blower,( which seems possible.) What drives me crazy is I can't remove the fan blades from the rod to get in there. Its a torx set screw that is so tight that I can't remove it. Its too tight and too tough to get at, to get a little leverage. Hopefully one of you may have some suggestions or at least have had a similar experience you'd like to share.

Thanks,
Eric

Welcome Eric,

Do you do your own maintenence on the stove? We recommend you clean both the blowers after every ton and oil them if they have lube points.The vidration is coming from the sleeved bearings in the convection blower motor. With proper lube they last far longer. Seeing that its been vibrating this long the bushings are probably shot. You could try to lube it to quite it down for a bit. But I would order a replacement blower below.

b24220

or

Keep us posted.

Jay I know you had a Breckwell, so I wondering if I could oil both my fans with out taking the blowers out of my unit. Breckwelll fs2000

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it. I have ordered a replacement and have given up trying to fix it. I do my own cleaning and maintenance and I followed their recommended schedule and still had this problem develop.. From what I've found this was a common issue with this unit and the new blower should have no problems. I'll keep you updated after I install the new one and run it for a while.

Thanks

doublewide said:
Jay I know you had a Breckwell, so I wondering if I could oil both my fans with out taking the blowers out of my unit. Breckwelll fs2000

Inserts are tough and its hard getting the blowers out. But its the best overall way. The newer combustion blowers have sealed bearings with no oil ports. But you need to remove to get all the build up of the fan blades. The convection blower you might get some oil in it. But its going to be a struggle. An you might need to be real skinny. Still recommend to remove and properly clean it. Cleaning keeps them balanced and in turn makes the bearings/sleeved bushings last longer. An imbalanced fan will wear the bushing/bearings faster than one that is kept clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.