Breckwell P24 only feeds on Manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrmPA

Jan 29, 2008
PA
I helped a friend install an older Breckwell P24 pellet stove this weekend. Once we get it lit it will not automatically feed the pellets. The green light is on and both fans are blowing. pushing the manual feed button feeds pellets just fine, but it will not do it automatically. The original owner who is very handy and was familiar with most of the switches etc even came and looked at it and he was unable to determine what the problem was.

From reading the wiring diagrams is would see that if the auger works with the manual switch then it would seem that all of the temp and air pressure sensors are working correctly as it look like the auger can only get power through those switches.

So does that point to a bad control board? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

all of this information is on our website http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/Breckwell_help.htm
but here is the fast version.

Do you have a Green light? NO
then it is the pressure switch

the only thin that will stop the auger from feeding normally is
1) Control board
Did you test with a meter if interment power is coming from the boards Yellow wire?
If yes then nothing is wrong with the control board.
the Orange wire is were it get power when you push the manual feed.

Pressure switch tripped
You say it is working properly? how do you know?
with the stove running and all doors closed is contenuety at both terminals of the pressure switch?
Breckwell used the pressure switch and HIGH limit switch to Kill the Neutral let of power to the auger motor
so the best way to check this if you dont have a good meter is to Jump the two wires together that are going to the pressure switch.
Just becuast jumping it work does not mean the switch is bad
Most of the time it is just the hose or the port that connect to the stove is pugged up.

The high limit switch is the next thing to check is power flowing through it?
but if this was bad the Manual feed would not work ither.

yes the green light is on.

jumping the pressure switch did not change the auger operation. Still only in manual no automatic. but if the pressure switch or the HIGH temp was tripped the auger should not work in manual yes/no?

Thanks for your help Rod. he very well might be calling your shop tomorrow for a replacement board.

hrmPA said:
yes the green light is on.

jumping the pressure switch did not change the auger operation. Still only in manual no automatic. but if the pressure switch or the HIGH temp was tripped the auger should not work in manual yes/no?

Thanks for your help Rod. he very well might be calling your shop tomorrow for a replacement board.
Manual switch works even if the pressure switch is not working
it you look at the wire diagram the nutral leg is running through the high limit and to the auger motor

The pressure switch is connected to the other side of the switch.

Some times it is just a bad wire connection
this is why it is best to use a meter and see if you have power coming from the yellow wire at the board
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/97breckwell.gif

Ok
Correction
If you have a OLD P24
the auger will not feed untill the low limit switch gets hot.
the controls did not have a 15 mintute start up cycle
so you had to manual put pellets in the stove and fire it up
then when the stove is hot enough it will start feeding pellets
here is the older wires
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/92breckwell.gif

thanks for your help. I'll have him check the yellow wire at the circuit board. From the manual that came with the unit it mentioned the start up time, not the low temp switch. My friend and the original owner had it running for quite a while using the manual feed while trying to diagnose the problems - he said it was good and hot using the manual feed only. Original owner never mentioned the need to manual feed till it got hot either. Stove had not been used in a year or so but supposedly worked just fine when last used.

Thanks again for your quick help.

How did you make out?

I take no responsibility for the annotated graphics attached. I am a novice and just looking for help on my control.

In particular, I am looking for replacement switch for Manual Feed / High Fan. (SPDT on off mon, C&K;p/n 7107 J3_ C_ _ B I 2_ )

Thanks,

Attachments

• controller.jpg
    controller.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,362
  • wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,580
Status
Not open for further replies.