breeze coming thru external venting thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wldraven1965

Aug 22, 2010
Far Far Away Land
hi guys,

We finally installed our pellet stove. Did it ourselves. As we treaded the external venting pipe thru the thimble, we noticed a small spacing between the pipe and thimble and light and a breeze comes thru it. Is there a collar we can purchase to make it a tighter seal or just use the high temp sealant....

Also, your point of view... We have a carbon monoxide detector in the same room as the stove. My roommate wants to put them in each of our bedrooms..... Is that to the extreme???/

wldraven1965 said:
hi guys,

We finally installed our pellet stove. Did it ourselves. As we treaded the external venting pipe thru the thimble, we noticed a small spacing between the pipe and thimble and light and a breeze comes thru it. Is there a collar we can purchase to make it a tighter seal or just use the high temp sealant....

Also, your point of view... We have a carbon monoxide detector in the same room as the stove. My roommate wants to put them in each of our bedrooms..... Is that to the extreme???/

Use a clear high temp silicone sealant around the pipe at the thimble on the outside of the house.

As for the CO detectors you should place them according to code.

wldraven1965 said:
.....Also, your point of view... We have a carbon monoxide detector in the same room as the stove. My roommate wants to put them in each of our bedrooms..... Is that to the extreme???/

No, not too extreme at all. When you're talking safety and the possibility of CO poisoning and/or death, I think caution is warranted.

IMO, I feel that there should be one located just outside each bedroom door, and in the room with the heater....that includes the pellet stove, and any other heat system (gas, oil). In the case of the bedroom hallway units, the idea is to have the detector sound BEFORE the CO gets to you while sleeping.

imacman said:
wldraven1965 said:
.....Also, your point of view... We have a carbon monoxide detector in the same room as the stove. My roommate wants to put them in each of our bedrooms..... Is that to the extreme???/

No, not too extreme at all. When you're talking safety and the possibility of CO poisoning and/or death, I think caution is warranted.

IMO, I feel that there should be one located just outside each bedroom door, and in the room with the heater....that includes the pellet stove, and any other heat system (gas, oil). In the case of the bedroom hallway units, the idea is to have the detector sound BEFORE the CO gets to you while sleeping.

New York State Building Code now says that the CO detectors must be IN EACH BEDROOM...

DAKSY said:
imacman said:
wldraven1965 said:

New York State Building Code now says that the CO detectors must be IN EACH BEDROOM...

And I bet Hard Wired too?

(these codes,,, I Learn So much)

Maine now requires that new construction and any additions that add a bedroom must have CO detectors that are dual powered they can be in a common area that bedrooms are off of or in each bedroom.

When a property is transfered the buyer must install the detectors within 30 days to housing built before the effective date of the law and certify to the state that they are installed, and all detectors were tested and passed.

The seller must certify at the time of sale that all installed detectors are operational. If the buyer discovers that they aren't functional they must notify the seller who must rectify the situation.

Other than that we can inhale until we croak.

when i first fired up my stoves i called my Brother In-Law who is a Paid fireman to ask, in his opinion, where to place the C02 detectors i bought.. We can Not Be to SAFE.......

I sealed my thimble in two ways.

First I bent a small little divit in the bottom flange of the outer portion of the thimble. This will allow any water that might get inside to escape.

I caulked the entire perimeter of the thimble on the outside wth Vulkem caulk.

Next I sealed the little gap between the pipe and the thimble, both inside and out with High temp silicone.

The silicone bonds real well to the pipe and the thimble and will not only stabilize the pipe and the whole connection but, seals out the cold air leaks.

As far as CO (Carbon Monoxide) detectors.

Place one in the room not too far from the stove (within 10 feet) and place one in each sleeping area or by each sleeping area DOOR (instructions say in the bedrrom)

I like the plug in units. These are great and dont require any fuss. Just unwrap and plug into a wall socket.

These will work in the even of a power outage too as they have an onboard backup battery.

CO is a killer and can also in small amounts cause issues that get passed off as other problems too.

Be sure to use HIGH temp silicone to seal the pipe to thimble gap. The pipe does not get extremely hot but can reach 200F if the stove is being run hard.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.