bricks under pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
when u guys put bricks under ur pallets....just the corners?...all the way around or what?

I put wood under the side/corners that are low. Is that what you mean?

Corners and in the middle sometimes, so the pallets don't sag.. too much. I like to keep the pallets off the ground to avoid having to replace them every couple of years due to rotting. Helps with air flow too.

Oh I see. All the pallets I use I get for free. The last batch I went down to the warehouse, gave the forklift driver $5 and he loaded a stack ~10ft tall into the back of my truck. :)

Hi -

Local code makes me keep stacks well off the ground.

I got a load of cinder block from a gas station that was being torn down. I position them so all 4 corners are supported, plus one in the middle.

This works out well as I really don't know how long they will be sitting. One yearI had surgery and didn't cut so much. More recently I got help from my older kids and have a bumper crop...

All the best,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Local code makes me keep stacks well off the ground.

Since when are there building codes for woodpiles? I don't doubt you, but doesn't the government have better things to do than mettle in our wood storage methods? Sheesh...

Could be a subdivision with the code.

If putting bricks down, then why mess with pallets? Just lay some poles or landscape timbers and stack on that. Simple that way an no mess of the pallets. But, some folks like the pallets.

Cause pallets are free

steeltowninwv said:
Cause pallets are free

Exactly. Buying bricks or cinder blocks or building fancy racks go against my all scrounge, never-pay-for-firewood personal code.

That's not a slam against those who do. I just don't have the money for such things. I've got a good saw and I lucked onto a killer deal on a splitter. (otherwise I wouldn't have one.)

the house we bought had about 3 or 400 bricks stacked out back...so they were free to

I broke down an old, unused chimney last year when I had the house re-roofed. I've been using them under pallets as a test for exactly the same reason - avoid rot. I did corners and middle of sides and one in the center. A few sags here and there, but seems to be holding up fine. Cheers!

I had a mega load of cement blocks that were left from the Reign Of Terror when I started here. I still use them, they are indestructible.

If I have to, I use them to balance out pallets that might sit with 1 corner "dipping". Works.

Status
Not open for further replies.