Brickwell Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vericor

Oct 19, 2011
Jackson,TN
I have a Brickwell Big E stove.

I purchased it use & the last owner says that he replaced the front glass seal/rope. When I use the unit the glass get black very fast, but my flame is yellow in color. To my understanding the flame should be yellow.
Any one have any answers?

Thanks
JD

I have had a Breckwell Big E for three heating seasons now and since day one the glass always got dirty quick. I have just dealt with it because it is in my basement and appearance is not that big of an issue. I just replaced the stove door gasket/rope yesterday but have yet to fire up the stove. I will let you know if this has any effect on the stove glass.

Typically, we find that used pellet stoves are sold by the original owners for a number of reasons, but one big one is because they say "it worked great when I first bought it, but now it doesn't", or words to that effect.

The reason? Lack of proper cleaning. Many owners think vacuuming the firebox and emptying ash pans constitutes a "complete" cleaning. Sounds like yours may be dirty, resulting in a very "rich" burn (not enough airflow through the stove).

IMO, you should disassemble the stove as far as possible, remove and clean both blowers, and vacuum & leafblow the stove to get as much ash out of it as possible, especially any hidden ash traps (this should be done outdoors if possible). Access to compressed air (air compressor & blow gun) will make the cleaning even better.

Re-assemble with new gaskets on the blowers, and I think you'll see the proper lively yellow-white flame.

Forum member Jay Takeman had one of these stoves and may be along later to add his thoughts.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can show some pics of your "new" install.

There are two little doors in the firebox , one on each side , they need to be removed and cleaned out. The space they allow you to clean is behind the firebox. I use a garden hose attached to my wet dry vac , and also attach it to my compressor to blow out from behind the firebox, I'd do blow it out outside , very messy.

Most of Breckwells air wash systems were not very good. On the bottom of the glass there is a strip of metal that covers a chanel. Make sure its cleaned of ash. You can remove it by taking out the screws. Careful there may be some shims in it. I usually take the door right of the stove. Lay it flat and play away.

On another stove P23 I tried shimming the steel piece out. It didn't do much. What I found is if you cut some glass tape(looks like the door seal but much thinner) and fill both sides of the gap. Yo can concentrate the air wash in the middle of the glass. I didn't have time to take pic's or do a demo. Ran out of time and wasn't sure it would actually work. But it seemed to keep a small area clean for a few days. If you try it and it works. Please post something for others.

If you take the door off and remove the plate. I can try to photoshop where I put the thing door tape.

P.S.
If you get the tape that has the sticky back you can stick it on to the metal strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.