Broke a chain the other day !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane

Minister of Fire
Feb 18, 2009
Central NJ
Last week I was with a buddy cutting up some standing dead and was cutting an old hickory maybe 12in in diameter. I cut it down and was cutting off the first piece ( bottom ) and the saw started pulling like crazy, there was a deep crack where I was cutting and it felt like I hit a nail. I pulled the saw out to look and no nail so I went back in to cut and the saw bucked real hard and the chain snapped. I thought it just cam off the bar until I pulled the saw out and the chain stayed there. Of course I always bring a spare chain ( except this time ) but I taught my buddy well and he had a spare.
I have been cutting with a chain saw a long time and never saw a chain snap before, the chain was only sharpened maybe 3-4 times and was fairly new. It was a husqvarna OEM chain. I inspected it and one of the links just broke in half.

Anyone else ever see a chain snap ?

I left the broken chain there, when I go back I will bring it back so I can post a picture.

And they are easy to fix, and it is lots cheaper than buying a new chain. Just have your husky dealer fix it, if he sold it to you, maybe he'll even feel guilty and do it for free (don't bet on it).

Status
Not open for further replies.