Broken snow plow control cable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Its on an older Western cable control type plow. I'm new to it and plowing in general. Is this the sort of thing that can be repaired or should I be ordering a new cable?
Just the end came off. Don't know if this is the type of thing that can be welded. It broke when trying to figure out why the piston won't pick up the blade, but that's another story. This cable controls the right/left.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 331
A new cable would probably be the best bet, maybe a ratcheting crimper but it's hard to say without seeing how thick it is. I'd still be worried about it pulling out at a bad time though if it was fixed.

I didn't know if they were supposed to be crimped on or tack welded with small wire.

You sure thats a Western? Best of my recollection, Yellow plow is Fisher, Red is Western. Unless someone decided to paint the blade yellow.
Get the new cable and be done with it.

Yes, I always thought that too but several folks have confirmed its an older Western. Probably 30 or so years old.

The problem is waiting around for a new cable to get here, but I'm going to order it today. If I can fix this one I'll have a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.