Brought in the good stuff!(Dennis wood)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Refilled my stack in the garage today and decided to bring in some Dennis(aka Backwoods Savage) wood! It looks like the middle of the week we'll get a cool down so I figured why not!?

Left side of the stack is mostly ash, to the right of the divider is soft maple from Dennis and some silver maple I have. Both sides total a 1/3 cord.

Attachments

• P1160118.jpg
    P1160118.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 357
Dang it rdust, you have more of that than I do! But that is okay. We still have plenty; just not quite as aged. I hope it burns well for you.

I was thinking of you last week when I was looking over some trees. There is one white ash that is about 30" diameter with very few limbs. Nice wood and easy cutting. However, it does have this funny looking little vine that grows way up into the tree...

Backwoods Savage said:
Dang it rdust, you have more of that than I do! But that is okay. We still have plenty; just not quite as aged. I hope it burns well for you.

I was thinking of you last week when I was looking over some trees. There is one white ash that is about 30" diameter with very few limbs. Nice wood and easy cutting. However, it does have this funny looking little vine that grows way up into the tree...

I have whats pictured in the rack and another wheelbarrow or two worth. I loaded the stove around 6 with some soft maple and it's burning nicely. The wood I've been burning this year is doing just fine but the difference between it and your wood is noticeable. I'm amazed at how quickly I can turn the air down and still maintain a nice fire.

I'll have to pass on the tree with the hairy vine growing up the side! :lol:

Gotta love the soft maple for quick heat. I got home about an hour and a half ago and it was 66 in here (brr). I put four medium splits on the coals, and it's a comfortable 72 now.

I was thinking of you last week when I was looking over some trees. There is one white ash that is about 30†diameter with very few limbs. Nice wood and easy cutting. However, it does have this funny looking little vine that grows way up into the tree…
Uh oh. That's to bad. As nice a tree as that sounds.....I might take a chance. :smirk:

Hey, I'll take it down anyway. But the vine is big enough that I'll just run the axe between the vine and the tree before I cut into firewood lengths. The stuff usually doesn't bother me but I know it bothers rdust and a lot of other folks.

That a boy Dennis. That's what I would do. Too good to pass up. I kind of hate it, but I have got to quit cutting and start splitting. I have run out of room to pile the stuff. When I get it all split and stacked....then maybe I can cut some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.