Brown Slush Muck on Chimney - Bad news?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnowaczyk

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2009
Delaware
Is this bad news? Or something to be expected when you wake up to a 250 stove temp after an overnight burn in a blizzard?

Attachments

• DSC01201.jpg
    DSC01201.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 336
I had some stuff hangin' off mine, kinda looked like one of them old root beer slushies, ummmm hmmmm,

I ran my stove pretty hot this morning and the chimney cap is clear of that frozen gunk now!

ansehnlich1 said:
I had some stuff hangin' off mine, kinda looked like one of them old root beer slushies, ummmm hmmmm,

I ran my stove pretty hot this morning and the chimney cap is clear of that frozen gunk now!

x2

Doesn't look like anything to be concerned with.

Steep roof there so snow won't pile up. Did you get much there?

Backwoods Savage said:
Doesn't look like anything to be concerned with.

Steep roof there so snow won't pile up. Did you get much there?

Over 2 feet, reports between 25 and 29 inches. Some places nearby 36 inches. I had over 4 feet of drift at the end of my driveway. Thank God I left my fence gate near the garage open. It created a winddrift that cleared about 3-4 feet wide right in front of the garage. I just had to clear some tire tracks for the jeep and hit the gas hard to plow through it. I learned that trick was working with all the fence gates. So I opened up every one i had, and it worked pretty well throught he second half of the storm.

The back side of the roof was holding some serious snow, especially above the dormer windows. The roofer who replaced the slate on the back of the house (about a year ago) apparently did a bad job with the snowguards, putting one right on the edge of a slate, right next to a dormer. The snow and ice must have come down so fast that it bend the snowguard, popping up the slate... unfortunately only one half of it... snapped right down the middle. Ugh. I'll have to have the guy come back to fix it, and see if I can teach him something about installing snowguards. I would have been better off with none (assuming there wasn't anyone below to get killed when the ice fell off anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.